Guild Wars 2 looks rather awesome in new trailer

Tuesday, 10th August 2010 20:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

guildwars2

NCsoft has released a new trailer for Guild Wars 2, and it looks awesome.

Honest.

Called the Manifesto trailer, ArenaNet chats about how it wants to defy existing conventions by redefining what constitutes current MMOs.

One way, is getting rid of the grind and putting players in a persistent world with an artistic bent.

We seriously hope it’s pulled off, because so far, it looks and sounds very ambitious – and rather amazing. To us at least.

Guild Wars 2 is slated for 2011 with Beta events expected sometime this year.

Video courtesy of Eurogamer.

1. fredje

For a MMO, that looks absolutely stunning. Especially the environments stand out

2. hitnrun

Via Penny Arcade (where Tycho aptly described the current MMO genre as “a reeking necropolis of shit”), there’s a series of articles on the different approaches GW2 is taking:

(the rest are on the right sidebar)

Certainly food for thought. One of the things that set WoW apart in 2004 was the hand-crafted environments, even though many of the art objects themselves were ripped from WC3. Pre-WoW MMO zones could be summed up by this comic:

This just takes that concept one step further. Assuming they aren’t BSing us, which is always possible with the multimedia tools available today for putting together a trailer.

It will certainly be worth a try, since Guild Wars is a non-subscription MMO.

3. Erthazus

They are fucking idiots. I would be happy to spend 15 or 12 bucks a month for this game.

This is a big present for MMORPG fans and this is the MOST anticipated MMORPG. period.

Want this
    Want this
    Want this
    Want this
    Want this
    Want this
    Want this
    Want this
    Want this

R I G H T N O W ! I want this so fucking much. Going to spend nights on this, i hope i won’t suffer during my last year in university.
    I so want this…

4. Dralen

Well it definitely looks good. It’s also exciting to see that some developers are actually trying to change mmo’s into something new and better, and not just copying the WoW system.

5. Erthazus

@Steph, you are wrong:

“Guild Wars 2 looks rather MASSIVE in new trailer!”

Fixed

6. Callum

I just got the same feeling that I got way back when I watched the hunter trailing through the snow when WoW was launched. Looks amazing!!! I don’t get the whole…you save a village and they stay saved thing though…what about the next guy that wants to save the village?

7. Bleak Harvest

Promises, promises, promises.

8. Boris Fett

@the bit at the end of the trailer. HOLY SHIT!

If this is anything like the first game, it will be incredibly well optimised and run on even modestly specced machines despite its great visuals.

As someone whose become generally disillusioned with this genre… I’m going to say one thing. I’m actually impressed.

Unlike how I was with The Old Republic, which just looks like WoW with lightsabers.

9. Gekidami

So is this one actually an MMO this time? Has it been said how many people we’ll see running around the world at the same time?

10. Boris Fett

Geki: It will be a persistent world this time around, just the same as most MMORPGs.

11. _LarZen_

Hope this is the WoW killer I have been waiting for so long now….

12. Stephany Nunneley

Every time I write something up about this game, I get more excited for it. Apparently, I have written about it enough too. http://www.vg247.com/?s=guild+wars+2

13. _LarZen_

I actualy played Guild Wars 1 when it came out…but for some reason I cant remember I stopped. Worth picking it up again?

14. Callum

I think we should start thinking about setting up the official VG247 guild of Guild Wars 2. We can argue and annoy each other, and then split into two Guilds called XBOTS and GAYSTATIONS and destroy each other. Epic!

15. Phoenixblight

What Bleak said. Nothing but promises not only that but the removal of Healer and Tank Archtypes spells major fail especially how in the interviews they say healing and tanks are for losers only more subtle. May look fancy but until I see some hands on not touching.

16. Boris Fett

The first game never really relied on the tank and healer archetypes anyway. There were a number of classes that could heal themselves in unique ways despite not being a “healing” class.

Getting rid of archetype classes can only be a *good* thing.

17. Erthazus

“Healer and Tank Archtypes spells major fail”

did you played the first Guild Wars? GW never relied on the tank or healer classes at all and it was a fantastic change.

This time there won’t be any tank or healer and everybody can heal themselves and they are concentrating on the tactics aspect.

18. Telepathic.Geometry

Holy fucking shit, that looks proper epic! I’ve never played an MMO or even wanted to to be honest, but I want to play that.

19. Boris Fett

And not in the “It’s free but you have to pay to get anywhere” sense that every other free MMORPG ends up being. It actually *is* free to play.

20. Erthazus

“And don’t forget that beyond the basic payment for the game up-front, it’s free to play.”

Sadly i want to pay for it.

21. Phoenixblight

The game may not rely on Healing or Tank archtypes but there are people out there that do like to play these roles. ANd again I hear a lot promises of what GW2 will deliver but have I seen gameplay? No. I smell Age of Conan and War repeat.

Yeah it is only if they follow the original method they will release expansions that are the size of major patches on WoW for the same price as the first game every 4-5 months. Thats 160$ a year if they follow that method, oh look that averages to be 13$ a month to stay current.

But if the game is fail you do have; you just paid for a crappy game and not with months of subscription attached to it.

22. OlderGamer

That game is 100% must own for me.

Very much looking forward to it.

One thing to keep in mind, PB, is that you don’t have to buy the exapansions to keep playing. For a sub based game you have to keep paying that monthly fee in order to keep playing.

W/GW2 if you have to wait till next month, or the month after that, you can keep playing what you already paid for. Plus most MMORPG expacs run 40usd+ each anyways – plus the monthly sub fee.

23. Phoenixblight

Thats what I said at the last part. But who really likes stay behind friends that are getting the expansion.

24. OlderGamer

And it is also a fair point about people wanting to heal and tank.

But I am tired of waiting in Qs for a tank and/or a healer to Q up so we can roll.

And I don’t think anyone really likes to fall behind friends, but for some people something like that could make the difference between playing or not. Monthly subs I mean. I have even been tinkering around with the EQII Extended(f2P EQII) due to trying to save a few bucks.

25. Unlimax

Crap as Hell .. No more P2P Games NCSOFT.

“IF” you wanna make a Success .. try to make something New.

we Getting too old for this payment style .. Fxxk to Blizzard Infect.

26. Boris Fett

@25 What are you babbling about? The game isn’t pay-to-play.

@21 The three seperate Guild Wars games (and the expansion “Eyes to the North” weren’t anywhere close to being six months apart in release. And they most certainly weren’t as small as the average WoW content patch.

I don’t know about you, but Guild Wars cost me €150 over the span of 2 and half years. That is about the price of a year (and bit) long subscription to WoW, and I also haven’t had to pay a single penny since.

27. GitForceGemini

I like how that dragon is basically Deathwing. (albeit with a Needler for a mouth)

28. Phoenixblight

“If you add the price of each expansion for WoW on top of the subscription cost, it’s even higher. So your point is moot.

I had played the original with two of the expansions and it didn’t give me as much fun as WoW. Blizzard knows how to deliver and I am fine with paying for the expansions and subscription because WoW delivers what most MMOs attempt to deliver.

“You seem to have some personal hatred with Guild Wars itself. At least that’s what I’m seeing here. I may be mistaken.”

Not hatred more like an annoyance because all I have seen for the MMO is cinematic and the dev team promising a lot but no real videos of gameplay. Its like their trying to sell ice to an Eskimo.

29. Erthazus

OG, lets play GW 2 together :D

30. blackdreamhunk

the three cuting edge mmo’s will be from bio-ware,blizzard anet with guild wars 2

31. Boris Fett

@30 Star Wars: The Old Republic is many things, but it damn well ain’t cutting edge.

32. blackdreamhunk

in terms of rpg yes it will be.

33. Boris Fett

@32 Having seen and tried it myself, and having years of experience with the genre, I can safely say that it is little more than an derivative and completely unoriginal MMORPG. It does *nothing* new. The gameplay has absolutely no flair to it at all.

It is literally just WoW with lightsabers.

There’s one MMORPG that I wasn’t expecting to impress me, but it did. DC Universe Online. That game has come on leaps and bounds in the last year, and its looking great.

34. blackdreamhunk

knights of the old republic is not even out yet.,come can you pass judgment.

35. Boris Fett

@34 Because I’ve had enough time to watch the gameplay footage and also to try it out for myself.

I wasn’t impressed with the gameplay at all. It does nothing even remotely new. Even the cut-scenes are bog standard. DC Universe Online just feels a lot more responsive and interactive.

If you want to judge for yourself.

DC Universe Online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeLxNN3VsOY