Analyst: Tiger Woods’ sex scandal has impacted PGA game franchise

Tuesday, 20th July 2010 16:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

tiger

Cowen Group analyst Doug Creutz believes the lack of large sales for Tiger Wood PGA Tour 11 during June may have something to do with the scandal surrounding the golfer.

According to Creutz, the less than stellar sales of the title could also be contributed to PGA Tour 10 shipping with Wii Motion Plus bundled with last year’s title, but Woods’ sex scandal may have permanently damaged franchise’s sales potential.

“Although this is probably due in part to the fact that last year’s version shipped bundled with Nintendo’s new Motion Plus controller,” said the analyst, “we are concerned that Woods’ scandal woes may have permanently damaged the sales potential of what we believe to be EA’s third most important sports franchise, behind Madden and FIFA.”

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 released on June 8, and has seen an 86 percent decline in Wii sales since launch, and an overall decline of 68 percent across all formats, which Creutz called “particularly catastrophic”.

The title didn’t crack the top 20 on the NPD software chart for the month, and the only titles EA had on the chart were PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of 2010 FIFA World Cup: South Africa.

Creutz said Tiger Woods isn’t the only EA franchise underperforming, as Skate 3′s only sold 253,000 units and is down 40 percent compared to May and June 2009 totals for Skate 2, and Green Day: Rock Band has only moved 82,000 units across three platforms since launch.

Software has a whole has been in decline in recent months, which NPD has blamed on fewer strong releases with only the top ten titles for each month garnering the most success.

The sex scandal Woods faced last year may actually have nothing to do with the franchise’s decline in sales, and may be just an added excuse from analysts to explain away issues prevalent with the industry as a whole, instead of consumer fatigue.

Tiger Woods first appeared in EA’s PGA series was in 1998, with the release of Tiger Woods ’99, before the franchise was rebranded in 1999 as Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2000.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 was the first title in the series released on Wii, and 2009 saw the release of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, Tiger Woods PGA Tour for iPhone, and the browser-based Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online for Mac and PC.

Via Gamasutra.

1. Suikoden Fan

Analyst: Tiger Woods’ sex scandal has impacted PGA game franchise with the new added, any holes a goal and glory holes modes.

2. Eregol

Nothing to do with the fact that every iteration is the same?

The only new feature this year really is Move functionality for the PS3. And with Move not out yet, what reason is there to buy?

Still, nothing like a niblick in the bunker.

3. theevilaires

What an idiot he is. He marries an ugly bitch in the first place only to cheat on her with even more uglier broads. He is the dumbass of the decade I swear.

And that golf game sucked ass anyway who cares.

4. MushroomStamp

I’m a huge Tiger (the game) fan and while I did pick up 11.. i really don’t play it much. Mostly because I’m waiting for the Move and playing with that. I do agree there isn’t much change in it graphically at all.. but I definitely like the tweaks to the gameplay this year. This is the first year I got it for the PS3, just because of the Move support. The PS3 controller makes this game more frustrating and more difficult to hit straight; over the 360 controller. The sticky point and the snap in the stick does not work well. On the 360 I can hit straight up and down 99% of the time. With the PS3 snappy and overtight stick I am constantly swinging crooked. Soo… I’ll wait for the Move to really play it.

5. Yoshi

WOW HE CHEATED ON HIS WIFE…
    Who gives a shit!
    Millions of idiots cheat on their wife/husband every fucking day now STFU it isnt him its the game thats shit

6. theevilaires

wow Yoshi did you have an affair with him too. :D

7. G1GAHURTZ

LOL @3!

8. theevilaires

Actually I kinda retract that statement (lol I’m sounding like Reins and Schafer, my balls are shrinking by the minute)I just skimmed the NY post and found an article about this chump.

One of his mistress are going into some type of rehab and they had a pic of her. She was hot I gotta say. At least he had one good one, but he’s still a dummy.

And his golf games are still shit. :D

9. The_Deleted

Nothing to do with the fact that there was about £100 worth of DLC available for the game prior to release, then.

10. OlderGamer

Exactly the same problem for NCAA Football 2011.

I used to stay up to date on EA sports games. No I playing out of date versions and will not buy the new one due to the stupid prices of the dlc.

And what really makes me mad, in the case of NCAA 11 is that most of what they are now calling DLC used to be included in the game. Infact they are selling lock out code keys for said DLC. Also, if you buy the PS2 version of the game you get all of that DLC included on the game disc.

So EA and go take a flying leap as far as I am concered.

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Ofcourse…….it couldn’t just be because the games average at best huh?

I mean, the characters still turn like tanks. No leg animations. That’s how much love and care EA puts into these yearly updates…lol

I’m looking forward to a next-gen golfing game that blows this crap EA series out of the water. Let me drive a golf cart too. :)

12. LordCancer

hes almost like micheal jackson, his behavior makes people ashamed to go into a store and buy anything related to him.