Jaffe: Twisted Metal PS3 used to be post-apocalyptic

Sunday, 18th July 2010 13:55 GMT By Joe Anderson

tmapoc

David Jaffe has said Twisted Metal started out life in a post-apocalyptic world, before moving on to appear as it does today.

Writing on his blog, Jaffe said co-director Scott Campbell was not in favour of the direction the game was taking as he doesn’t “dig the whole post-apocalypse vibe.”

Jaffe added it’s probably a good thing the studio decided to ditch the setting, “given the glut of apocalypse-style games now flooding the market.”

Twisted Metal was unleashed at the end of Sony’s E3 conference, after much industry teasing and denial from David Jaffe, who had promised fans he wouldn’t even be attending E3.

The game is set to release early next year, exclusively to PS3.

1. _LarZen_

Dont understand the hype on Twisted Metal. Is it a game gamers realy have been missing?

Me personaly thinks it look’s like junk.Can probably find flash games that give me a better gaming experience…

2. sam_spade

Me either, it’s one of those you pick up and play a few times and then trade-in for something better.

3. OlderGamer

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that a flash game is just as good, but I do agree that this game is and always has been way over hyped.

For me this is one of a long list of games that when the PSone came out people went ape shit over and when I played I wondered what the big deal was.

Back in the day I had a lot more fun system linking Destruction Derby from Pysnogias(?) Then playing Twisted Metal.

4. Joe Anderson

A next gen Destruction Derby, now that I would pay for. That was an awesome game.

Got it when I subscribed to PS + , wouldn’t mind an up to date version though.

5. OlderGamer

Joe +1 right there.

I agree, the Flatout games are the closest things we can get right now, but it isn’t the same. For its day, DD was the best game. I would love to see a fully upgraded version with HD, online, in game cash to buy new cars, upgrades, and car classes.

Hell I think I just described Flatout again. Oh well I would jump on another one of those too I guess.

6. DaMan

I remember playing DD on my PS1 back in the days, for some reason I got bored after a couple of hours and never played any of the later ones. I thought the gameplay was dull. say, Carmageddon was head and shoulders above that game. TM on the other hand, I spent many days playing.

7. Crysis

i enjoyed this game years ago, something different, how many car shooters do we get to see afterall? i’d consider getting this game myself when i have spare cash

8. Joe Anderson

@5 saying that I though Flatout was an awesome game, In fact I think I still have that on 360 somewhere.

9. DeSpiritusBellum

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one. I thought the old Twisted Metal was a pretty good game, but the new one looks like a mess.

I thought the Interstate games did a better job of vehicle combat, even if they were flawed gems as well. I just like the fact that they went a bit further in car handling.

You could do a lot with some fun physics in those regards today.

10. Hunam

I don’t think I’ve ever played a vehicle combat game that was fun.

11. mojo

then sir, u clearly missed out Rock ‘n Roll Racing on the SNES.

I dunno what u guys are about, but i loved all games mentioned here so far. Never played carmageddon.

12. OlderGamer

Rock n Roll racing was an amazing game!!

Good call.

13. mojo

yeah absolutely.

oh, well, heres anopther good call, maybe the best call if its up to “car-combat” and fun.
    Super Mario Kart.
    If u didnt liked that game at all,i guess car combat isnt for u ;)

14. Psychotext

I’d quite like another Carmageddon. :D

15. The1stMJC

Glad I am not the only one that thinks a new Twisted Metal is not needed this gen.

I mean don’t get me wrong Twisted Metal was cool on the PSOne but I think gamers have changed since than and Twisted Metal is not really wanted by this gen.

Yes people are excited to hear Twisted Metal is coming, but not because they want it, but because they loved it as a kid.

16. metamorphic

The very fact that Jaffe is going to be working on this is reason enough to get this game. Sure beats the glut of other pointless FPS, shooter and generic racing games that are on the market. Glad I’m not a loser who only likes generic and ordinary games; what the game industry needs is more unique and out-of-the-ordinary games. Twisted Metal: we’ve missed you.

17. Erthazus

Agree with everyone else and especially i agree with Metamorphic. Behind this game is David Jaffe. End of story.

18. _LarZen_

@16: LOL, first of all thanks for insulting probably 98% of every reader of vg247.com! Great work m8!

And secondly what’s the big diffrence from this compared to “pointless FPS”? Ohhhhh…that’s right…you are in a car! Woooooow!

Moron…

19. DeSpiritusBellum

It’s pretty funny how people love developers who flog the franchises they happen to prefer.

If anyone else does it, they’re unimaginative turds.

20. LOLshock94

im more of an xbox fanboy but id do like playing on ps3 but this game looks shit flatout is way better and why do ps3 fanboys always have a wank about this game i dunno

21. Crysis

Don’t worry LOLshock, i could say the same about every single damn Mario game, cept i don’t insult people when i express my voice,
    maybe ps3 fanboys like to ‘wank’ over this game because the game looks fun & is not another generic modern warfare shooter & the genre has not been done to death, don’t get me wrong, i like certain FPS, but too many of them are just generic with a different label on it

22. frostquake

Seems like Fanboyism towards David Jaffe. Car Combat is Nothing New at all! Does anyone remember Carmageddon???????

What would be a HUGE ASS twist would be to put a super deep story line in Twisted Metal, so we actually care about the Characters driving the car, instead of just picking the car and not having any story line behind the person driving the car.

Twisted Metal started down this path, flushing out a story line with previous games for each character, but seems to have gotten away from that, and not continued or introduced new story arc’s.

You get nothing more then a very vague snip bit of info about the character behind the wheel and then spend the rest of the time blowing the shit out of each other. Nothing wrong with that, if your not bored with it like I have become. I just want more substance to my games now days. If I don’t I just pop in Flat Out, Old Twisted Metal, or Motor Storm and play for a week or so and then the Fluff shows no substance I just move on to something with more meat to it.

I see it all the time! The new Twisted Metal will come out, people will be Ga Ga over it, but when they get it home they will only play it for a week, and then move on to something with more depth.

Don’t get me wrong we need to be able to, on a shitty day, kick back and play a fluff game like Twisted Metal. Sometimes you don’t want a story, you just want to blow the shit out of things, maybe pretending your boss is driving the car that you are hounding the shit out of, but really it won’t hold you for long till you move on.

Is Twisted Metal worth $65.00 US with Tax for a day one Purchase???? Not for me, maybe for you? Will I get it?? Sure, I will get it, because games like this drop with-in a month to $35.00 US in one month. It will still be too pricey for me, but you will see a spike in sales at that price. For me, it will be a purchase at $20 or less.

Simply put, what will bring me back to the Twisted Metal Series, is a deep narrative where I have Resonance with the characters behind the wheel, because I sure as hell don’t give a fuck about the been there done that vehicles.

But hey that is just me. :)

23. Crysis

I Understand where you’re coming from frostquake, if there’s no story, or a vaguely pointless story, u don’t enjoy the game’s universe as much as you would like to, which is one reason i do not like CoD, the story is rubbish & all over the place & the multiplayer is filled with squeeky voiced kids & angry punks in their early 20s swearing @ every little injustice, but on the overhad there are games like Halo which has a deep background & the game engages you, even if the story was crap, you still enjoy the ride there, but it’s kinda hard 2 make a engagable story driven universe about pychopathic car drivers blowing the absolute f#*k out of everything, which i personally enjoy every now & then, but i’ll wait til i play this to pass judegment on how well the other aspects do, multiplayer actual gameplay among other things like customization & variety(two KEY aspects many games unfortunately lack)

24. frostquake

If I remember right, was it not Twisted Metal: Black that started to go a little more in-depth on the story line, giving each driver their own story, even though it was kind of pointless in the end???

25. Tonka

It looked like a 3rd person version of Calling All Cars.
    or a polished turd.