Aliens vs Predator to be released via OnLive

Tuesday, 25th May 2010 22:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

onlive31

OnLive has added Aliens vs Predator to it’s catalog, according to Rebellion’s Jason Kingsley.

EA, Take-Two and Ubisoft have already signed the dotted line, so what this means is that SEGA’s possibly on board as well since it published AvP.

Speaking at the BIS/LBS Videogames Investment Network event in London last night, Kingsley broke the news when he was asked if he thought games would ever be released via cable or television boxes.

“I think there are quite a lot of walled gardens that have grown up in the industry, and people like Sony and Microsoft are very used to controlling a certain sector of the market – and have been very successful in doing that,” he said.

“I definitely think there’s an opportunity there, and different people are trying different things around concepts like cloud computing. We’re working on something with OnLive at the moment, which enables you to play one of our games, Aliens vs Predator – but you don’t actually have to own a copy of the game, you can play it remotely.

“Now there are some very interesting issues there – I don’t know how that’s going to scale, for example, and we’re looking at the technology right now. But everybody’s got a TV in their living room… so you’ve got a massive market there potentially”.

Kingsley went on to say that as a developer, it’s a priority to get games into the hands of customers, no matter the distribution method.

SEGA declined to comment regarding whether it has signed with OnLive or not.

OnLive is scheduled for a June 17 launch in the US, and recently had a 2.6 percent share in it purchased by British Telecom.

Via GI.biz.

1. loki

LOL Epic win
    Sheet game for sheet service

2. OlderGamer

I am so pulling for cloud gaming.

I have grown very tired over the years of this system vs that one. Exclusives vs multiplats. This fanboy vs that fanboy.

I just want to play the damn games. I don’t want 400usd systems. I don’t want 60usd games. 50usd controlers. Perpietory headsets. Greedy second hand game sellers. I just want the games.

I have broadband. I am ready to pay a monthy or yearly service fee and am more then ready to be able to play games via a cloud hub. Cut out all of the middle men and get the games into the hands of the gamers.

I am ready.

3. Phoenixblight

We have a long way to go til that dream is fulfilled. I have friend that is in beta and she said its not very enjoyable, it constantly lags and crashes and she has Verizon internet which can up to speeds of 50mbs.

Then you have Sony and Microsoft who will of course shelling out cash to to keep the games on their own console.

4. OlderGamer

Ok honestly, 50mbs is T3 speed levels. No way end users/consumers are going to get those kinds of speeds. DSL doesn’t haven’t em.

I have road runner we get 15mbs. Thats Cable.

Onlive doesn’t take that much.

However I am not going to clash swords on you over your friend experiencing lag issues. I will take your word for it. I have not beta’d it, and she has.

I would imagine that they(Onlive) will have a few kinks to work out.

And fully, I understand, that playing on cloud based services is a long ways away for the average gamer, I am looking forward to it.

I also fully expect that MS/Sony will either offer their own versions of cloud or fight cloud tooth and nail.

I am not sure, at this point, if Nintendo is even aware of what Cloud based gaming is. That part is a joke btw.

5. Phoenixblight

Verizon has it, with FIOS.

Yeah Sony had patented a coud-based device at the same time Onlive was announced.

6. OlderGamer

Fiber ‘eh? More power to her – must be nice.

7. Erthazus

@O.G., it’s not going to happen. We have Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony that going to make their own Onlive service.

sony already registered Playstation Cloud and they have the biggest first party support from all 2 big game companies.

+ until proper 1080, lags solved and e.t.d. it’s going to be pain in the Ass.