Uncharted 2 didn’t “redefine” action games, says Castlevania producer

Wednesday, 7th April 2010 17:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

uncharted25

Dave Cox, producer for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, has told PSM3 that Uncharted 2 did not “redefine” the action genre because it was only a single-format release.

Admitting that it was “highly polished”, Cox believes that if the game were to have hit more than just PS3, it would’ve possibly set a precedent for action games to follow.

“Visually Uncharted 2 is beautiful and it impresses me technically. But does Uncharted 2 redefine 3rd person action games? I don’t think that it does,” said Cox.

“Uncharted 2 is a great game and I enjoyed it immensely. The standouts are the story and the voice acting.
“[But] Uncharted was a single format release. If any game is going to set a benchmark for a genre it would need to do so across multiple platforms.”

Castlevania: Lords of Shadows is a joint venture with Kojima Productions and Mecury Steam, and is set for release sometime this year on Xbox 360 and PS3.

You can get the latest issue of PSM3 will hit newsstands this week.

Via CVG.

1. Syrok

“If any game is going to set a benchmark for a genre it would need to do so across multiple platforms.”

Well, that excludes most games that are considered benchmarks then. :)

2. theevilaires

Fuck you COX, yes it did!

3. blackdreamhunk

it would must likely be sub par if the action game was made for the pc. Pc gaming is where all the real “redefine” games are.

4. Johnny Cullen

As much as I loved Uncharted 2, and as much as it was my GOTY, to an extent, he’s right.

5. Hunam

Uncharted 2 didn’t redefine anything anyway. It’s an absolutely amazing game, but it’s just tomb raider and kill.switch. Nothing wrong with that but it’s hardly goldeneye or halo or even god of war.

6. theevilaires

He’s just jealous that his game won’t be as graphically,technically or better in anyway than UC2.

I’m sorry but if you plan on making a multi console game and your publisher tells you to make the best game you possibly can and you can’t do that because of the limits of the 360 then don’t take it out on the top benchmark game to beat.

7. Syrok

@Johnny: Well, yes. But what then is a benchmark title?

Crysis isn’t.
    Starcraft isn’t.
    Flight Simulator 1253 isn’t.
    Mario isn’t.
    Whatever Racing game is considered the best most likely isn’t either.

8. blackdreamhunk

Uncharted 2 is a joke, real graphics one only needs to look at crysis for the pc

9. theevilaires

Hunam you’re stupid. You are saying Halo deserves the title when we all know Goldeneye was the first true king of FPS and Halo is just a better version…..just like your UC2 and Tomb Raider comparison.

Dude STFU! Damn you are stupid.

10. Aimless

I agree that the game didn’t redefine its genre, although it did push things forwards in some ways.

The assertion that a game needs to be multiformat to be a benchmark is a bit weird, though, and easily proven false: Mario 64, Gran Turismo, Halo.

11. theevilaires

BDH I don’t have the patience to deal with your silly ass in this article. Say something relevant or STFU. This is serious.

12. theevilaires

Lets see this new castlevania game redefine the action genre. This guy got some balls calling out Naughty Dog like that.

13. Hunam

Haha, from a fanboy that’s a hoot.

Though thinking about it, I guess Uncharted 1 could be considered a redefining. UC2 is just UC1 but better so whilst it is the benchmark, it’s not redefined anything. Halo gets a mention because it fixed console FPS. Goldeneye started it, Halo perfected it.

14. DaMan

absolutely, Cox. a benchmark is something like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider, Halo, Devil May Cry etc. it’s a game that sets a standard for the future titles in the genre.

15. theevilaires

Damn I hate euros as it is but dumb fuck euros like you Hunam just piss me off really bad. I want that ignore button now.

16. Hunam

17. DaMan

Uncharted 1 wasn’t either, unless you you mean graphically.

18. blackdreamhunk

@theevilaires

your joking right, you can’t redefine something when pc gaming already has such games.

even fighting games pc gaming has “redefined”

oh wait my bad your a console gaming noob. I mean the only genres on consoles are watered down rpg’s,dumb down fps games and maybe a music genre……right I forgot.

19. Hunam

Of course it was. The grand sense of adventure and character presented in the game was barely seen at the time. It was what those Indiana Jones action games aspired to be but couldn’t quite figure out what made Indy so great.

20. Syrok

I think TEA is relapsing. :(

21. The Hindle

Id disagree with cox on this, Uncharted 2 redefined story in games as well its the most well presented yet. Gameplay wise it didnt do anything well maybe the train and falling building set pieces as they were not static enviroments.

22. DaMan

well, fair enough Hunam probably in graphics and presentation then.

23. theevilaires

this has nothing to do with the PS3. This guy is saying UC2 hasn’t redefined the action genre which nobody ever said within the past 6 months of its release and you are backing up his claim (that doesn’t need backing in the first place cause no one said it redefine the action genre mind you) by saying HALO behind GOLDENEYE!

Then you have the balls to call UC2 a tomb raider wannabe…and I’m the fanboy? Do you even own a damn PS3 or played UC2?

24. Aimless

Drake’s Fortune didn’t so much redefine its genre so much as set a new standard for cookie-cutter videogame protagonists: gruff baldies are out, Nathan Drake wannabes are in.

25. Hunam

Yeah, I do own a PS3 and I own UC2 and have completed it. I’m just not so blinkered that I have to try and rush and defend every game I like. That guy doesn’t think it’s much cop, then fuck, that’s his opinion, stop being a fascist and get the fuck over it.

You call me stupid and you can’t even see the similarities between Uncharted and Tomb Raider.

26. DaMan

TR just came out before tea was born.

27. The Hindle

Id like to know more up to date sales for UC 2.

28. theevilaires

I called you stupid because you can’t see the similarities in Goldeneye and Halo, but still chose to be ignorant and say UC is a copy cat of TR. and to put the icing on the cake you tried to cover your ass by not looking like a XBOT and mention God of War.

You are too much man. but of course I’m the fanboy who is defending a SONY only game. So I’m the bad guy. Not COX who could be a fanboy himself (like Gabe Newell) and is just mad he can’t create a masterpiece of UC2 quality on his preferred console.

Read the first paragraph:

29. Hunam

I just completed God of War 3, and it reminded me that the original upped the ante at the time away from DMC. I can see the similarities between Halo and Goldeneye, but if you let the nerd rage subside you’ll notice I said that Goldeneye was the blueprint for console shooters and Halo was it being perfected. Every shooter on the PS3 and 360 owes both games a massive debt. If you can’t see that then you have no business talking shop.

Have you played Tomb Raider legend? Did you not think the single lead character whose job it was to find artefacts, climb walls and shoot foreign looking folk in Uncharted was a bit similar to another character in another game series about looting the dead away from a rich collector with a power trip whilst climbing walls, jumping from ledges and shooting folk? I never said it was a reskin, that’s you that is, being stupid. And we all know you are a PS3 fanboy, hence why you were voted fanboy of the year 2009. It’s not like I’ve never seen you post here before. Call be an ‘xbot’ all you like. It just shows how small your little life is if you think calling me a 360 fan in someway hurts my feelings.

Why you got so wound up over PR spin I’ll never know.

30. Aimless

GoldenEye and Halo are hugely different. I’d also argue that the latter has been far more influential, at least directly: recharging health, limited weapon slots, one button grenades and melee attacks are present in pretty much every contemporary FPS.

You don’t have to be first with an idea to redefine a field, just be the one that makes everyone else sit up a take notice of it; kill.switch might have had a third-person cover system before Gears of War, but it’s Epic’s game that polished and popularised the concept.

Speaking of third-person shooters, Uncharted is clearly one above all else. It certainly has similarities to Tomb Raider, but you could argue that closer relatives would be RE4 and the aforementioned GoW.

31. OlderGamer

At #5.

Bingo, we have a winner.

Not many games this gen define anything.

Better graphics, bigger online MP games, Digital Download(VC, XBLA, and PSN), and over priced DLC that was held back from the game disc, is what this gen has really defined.

32. theevilaires

Oh GOD, I’m about to become Hitler.

Tell me this ignorant fuck did not say Halo perfected the FPS genre…. cause a bunch of lonely desperate XBOTS who believed so much in M$ and hated SONY for killing SEGA (and migrated to XBOX out of desperation) played a decent title from what seemed like forever on that system and over hyped it so much to make it seem like it was the KING of FPS’s ….are you serious?

As I continue to read your wall of Ignorance I see you still can’t admit your fuck up. Then you are trying to play the fanboy card again. You think I give a shit what you people call me. As long as I state the truth it doesn’t matter.

You can’t handle the truth, that’s why you call me a fanboy. A guy like Cort was nominated for the shatner…come on man you sound stupid. What does me being a fanboy have to do with your dumb ass flawed ignorant backward ass comment.

You’re stupid for calling Halo redefining and but UC2 a clone of Tomb Raider. and I saw your comment Daman but you have proved to an idiot also so I won’t bother with two flawed red ringed XBOTS.

33. theevilaires

Hunam said: I love how you take digs and make jokes about 360, but soon as someone says something slightly off about the PS3 you cry like a little fucking pussy.

Oh GOD, do we really need to start posting links of your comments about the SONY and the PS3 from eurogamer (aka XBOT anal loving heaven)

You don’t want to go there with that comparison anytime soon.

34. Erthazus

Thats bullshit, so if game is exclusive to one platform it can’t redefine anything? YEAH?

Lets see what will make Jericho developer. We will see.

35. theevilaires

No Erthazus HALO is the only exemption according to Hunam.

36. Syrok

Who would have thought that this statement was going to be taken that serious. ^.^

37. theevilaires

Stephany did. That’s why she posted it :D The statement isn’t being taken that seriously Syrok. Its just Hunam’s dumb fucking ignorance and bias that must be addressed.

38. DaMan

see, tea the problem is that you’re not even a game fanboy, you like Uc because it’s a PS3 exclusive. since you first started posting here, I haven’t seen you praising any videogame that wasn’t on Sony platform. to be fair, nobody aside from bdh comes close really.

you don’t even understand the difference betwen being annoyed by trolls dissing your favourite game and people refusing to consider your Sonybot gems masterpieces. hence your feeble attempt at trolling by mentioning the ignore button.

39. get2sammyb

What’s his point? No-one said it defined anything. It’s just a VERY, VERY good game.

And did he really say exclusive games can’t set a benchmark? Really?

40. JimFear666

what a douchebag! you dont need to be multiplat to set a benchmark. Just look at games like Gears of war 1 who set a benchmark and was exclusive to xbox360 console. As long the graphics are impressive with an epic story it always help to set a benchmark, no matter if its an exclusive or multiplatform. He’s probably just jealous cause he know his game will be really normal and will probably suck.

41. Goliath

He’s right but for all the wrong reasons. Too bad he doesn’t make a valid point for his argument.

42. Hunam

You’re really serious about this aren’t you? I pointed out the inspiration for the base mechanics of uncharted and you just went overload.

First, Halo. Twin stick controls were perfected. It hit the nail on the head when referring to dead zones and stick acceleration on an analogue stick. It also pioneer soft auto aim to guide players without them even knowing it. It created the 3 stages of first person combat, indirect, direct and melee and then linked them together in gameplay. It had bullet types that were effective at different things. I was the first console FPS to have huge, open levels in which players could use different terrain and tactics to gain an advantage. It was one of the fist FPS games to have a separate button for melee and grenades, increasing their worth instantly. It was the first shooter to have proper checkpoints and mesh vehicle and gunplay seamlessly.

Uncharted 2. You scale walls. Jump from stone to stone, swing across bars, jump onto swinging leavers. Scale giant statues that are part of the puzzle, have a limited number of weapons, use melee attacks to soften targets up. All appear in Tomb Raider Legend.

Also, using M$ to say Microsoft only points out how much of an idiot you actually are. I said Uncharted 2 was an amazing game, yet you didn’t pick that up, no. You went right to talking shit about Halo. How would it feel if I told you that I only used Halo because I knew it would be a shining beacon for your nerd rage. Well, I did. You are a typical oversensitive fucking child. I’ve had the PS3 since day fucking one. I’ve completed all the best games on it and a few shit ones to boot. I also have a 360, a Wii, a PC, a PSP, a DS, 3 PS2′s, a GC, 2 GBA’s a PS1, a DC, an Xbox and a fucking N64. I play games. It’s what I do. You’re just another idiot on the internet trying to act like a big man, you just make petty insults and hop on what ever bandwagon needs the most bleating. What’s worse is that people like you make me hate my PS3. More than I do usually. Which is alot when it’s spending 25 minutes installing or patching or whatever the fuck the thing does to waste your fucking time.

It’s took them this long to actually make games worth playing for the system, everything not made by Sony directly is just shit on the system. It’s a poorly designed console with some exceptional developers having to suffer it.

43. Dr.Ghettoblaster

wow…is it hot in here or is it just me? lol

On topic I will say that the following statement made by Cox is completely and utterly moronic and just plain dense.

The best part is, I don’t even need to justify WHY it is a stupid statement, cause it just doesn’t make any sense. What does a game being available on multiple platforms have to do with whether or not it sets a new benchmark for a genre? It doesn’t. Exactly.

44. Hunam

It’s funny because I’m waiting to see when TEA spots that I never once said that console exclusives can’t be benchmark or redefining games.

Oh shit now I’ve ruined it.

45. Erthazus

Interesting discussion you have here, but…

@Hunam i agree with you about Uncharted 2 that its not a revolution in anything (except maybe benchmark for consoles), Its amazing game (for me it is the best singleplayer experience ever created) but i don’t agree that Halo redefine something.
    First of all, Bungie didn’t redefine everything what you said, its just a matter of time till that happened.

Its the same shit if you will say: XBOX 360 is the first HD console. MICROSOFT REDEFINED HD CONSOLES BECAUSE THEY RELEASED EKSBAWKS FIRST!!!!1111 or WE HAVE LIVE!!!!111 WE ARE FIRST!!!!! RE VO LU TI ON !
    The same goes to Natal. Microsoft is perfect for hyping anything, i really wish Sony had that ability.

It’s how time goes. Halo first of all was a piece of shit, if you want to compare it to other shooters that were at that time.
    Actually, Xbox 1 hardware was capable of Half-Life 1 port. But they didn’t do that because they did not have good relationships with Valve, so Bungie were a perfect studio for creating brainless shooter.

46. Sini

Let’s see.
    Combat that lacks any some of depth.
    puzzles that insult with their simplicity
    and platforming that serves only to show off how well the wall textures look.

Yup, overhyped garbage of a game. Uncharted 2 is the equivalent of Avatar movie – all eye candy.

47. Erthazus

@46 Wrong. Naughty Dog perfected the system, its not just an eye candy.
    It is a very good platformer-TPS with good holywood Indiana story.

It is a blockbuster movie first of all. Perfect blockbuster movie game and Avatar is a piece of trash even in technology.

48. Anders

@45 Halo didn’t revolutionize nothing for the FPS genre in general, but it set the bar for how they should function on consoles. Halo has some lousy design and terrible storytelling, but the gameplay made up for all that.

49. The Hindle

Tea dude what you got to reliase about consoles man is its business, the things you hate Microsoft and Nintendo for Sony will do as well.

At end of the day Sony dont give a shit about you man they just want your money like every other company. Its about the games and Microsoft have some really good ones.

Its pointless being a one console owner as the only person who loses the soo called console war are the people who stick to one console.

50. theevilaires

DaMan said: see, tea the problem is that you’re not even a game fanboy, you like Uc because it’s a PS3 exclusive.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now will Reask,Blerk,G1GAHURTZ,or Psychotext prove this dumb ass wrong. For you info DaMan. I finished GEARS2 this past Easter Sunday and immediately meseaged these four (well known XBOTs :D ) the the game as epic.

(My actual quote) Gears2…..FUCKING EPIC!

DaMan said: since you first started posting here, I haven’t seen you praising any videogame that wasn’t on Sony platform. to be fair, nobody aside from bdh comes close really.

Ok lets clear this shit up once and for all (especially you eurogamer fuckers) I OWN A XBOX360! I OWN OVER 7 GAMES (all exclusives) I PREFER THE PS3 BECAUSE ITS THE BETTER SYSTEM OVERALL WITH THE BEST EXCLUSIVES AND FREE ONLINE(this is a fact live and deal with it), BUT I WILL NEVER TURN MY BACK ON A GOOD GAME NO MATTER WHAT CONSOLE ITS ON. GEARS1= SHIT, GEAR2= EPIC. THOSE ARE WORDS FROM A GAMER (not a fanboy). BDH only owns a PC…His words are from a fanboy.

DaMan said: you don’t even understand the difference betwen being annoyed by trolls dissing your favourite game and people refusing to consider your Sonybot gems masterpieces.

NO!, You don’t understand that I hate people like Hunam and is 2006 Sony hating groupies. Read his comment you dumb retar….(AGHHHHHH MUST NOT INSULT, MUST NOT LOSE COOL) ….person. Goldeneye and Halo are both FPS UC2 and Tomb Raider are both action games, but yet Hunam thinks Halo perfected the FPS genre while UC2 is just a copy cat of Tomb Raider….Do you not see his error of judgment to be ignorant or bias.

DaMan said: hence your feeble attempt at trolling by mentioning the ignore button.

Are you serious? I mentioned it one time and it’s trolling? I have been against it, but it has always been the XBOTS on this site demanding it. Don’t get me confused with your leader Psychotext. He’s the one who have created threads in the forum crying to Garratt. But I guess you didn’t see that huh. Too busy eating his homemade RROD “Pie” charts huh :D No wonder you were defending NEO GAF the other week….you are pathetic.

DaMan said: I won’t call you names though, because I actually believe you just don’t realize all of that.

PUSSY, :P THERE I CALLED YOU ONE.

@ get2sammyb: exactly.

@Hindle: Shut up and stop preaching to me boy.

51. Hunam

“Halo did nothing, it was just an absolute PR brain washing machine. PR was perfect. Game did not do nothing.
    When people played Halo 1, i played Unreal 1, Half-Life, Wolfenstein and i played Halo 1 at that time. It was mediocre at best.”

I was talking about consoles specifically. If you’re talking Halo in the grand scheme of things, it did a few things like I mentioned, but most of it was done on the PC long before.

However saying Xbox Live didn’t change the industry is a bit short sighted, on the original XBox it really wasn’t much cop, but the full integration into the xbox 360 with achievements, marketplace and fully realised matchmaking and party systems is way above everything else on the console and even on the PC in some respects. Matchmaking isn’t really a PC thing, but so far it’s been pretty poorly done when it is. I think this is something battle.net 2.0 will fix though. That sounds amazing.

52. G1GAHURTZ

“I even started co op campaign with G1GA and we are on the snow town map after you come out that dark tunnel.”

’tis indeed true.

53. onyxbox

I’m pretty sure I had played Red Faction (The first) on PS2 way before Halo or even the XBox came out and it was dual analogue stick shooter with invert etc. that was pretty cool and new if memory serves me.

As for the whole famboy stuff… if it winds you up… just don’t bite and don’t defend your arguments then fly into a rant about System X being a waste of space.

I have all the current systems and I preffer PS3… I have my reasons but there’s no point sharing them because I’ll end up being targeted at for being a fanboy and I’m too old and ugly to want that these days :)

54. Hunam

I’m fully aware that I changed foot and starting dissing the PS3, but that’s not because of the PS3, but TEA and only TEA. I am just in awe of him. He’s like BDH but without the conspiracy theories or anti-semetism… probably.

But he needs taking down a peg or two. I’m sick of his constant steam of bullshit. He loves the PS3, that’s fucking amazing, I’m glad he’s so happy with his purchase, but fuck, why the fuck does he think he can go and piss on other peoples parades all the time. At the start of this thread I thought Uncharted 2 was one of the finest action games I own. Now I just want to sell it and never look at it again. That’s what bothers me most and why I’ve stooped to his level, because he ruins perfectly good games for me.

55. G1GAHURTZ

Now you know just how annoying you are.

56. theevilaires

Kid if you are trying to claim psychotext’s old job don’t bother applying I destroyed that position a long time ago.

The fact (or maybe its you bullshitting) I ruin games for you tell me and everyone here one important thing…..

AMERICANS own euros mind’s FTW!!!!!!!! YEEEEE HAAAAAAA!!! :D

57. DaMan

good job, tea you made the impossible. you’ve just redefined both of the genres by beating that troll Shatner (albeit you still have a long way to go with the writing style) and one of the finest fanboys – Bdh. you’re both the ultimate troll and the fanboy. apparently you also have a huge “real life” like you keep saying. then again, that’s what you won – the gtfo award and the fantard one :D ..

yeah , I noticed, “joker”. you post here for two reasons – to entertain yourself in a 12 years old style (I don’t know if it’s pathetic or you’re actually 12 years old, can’t say really) and to post your opinionated crap, usually it’s a mix of both. and that’s why I ‘m ignoring you for most of the time.

also, the point is that you don’t see the difference even between being a game fanboy and a piece of plastic fanboy, and the latter is what you’re, no matter how you ‘re trying to mask it with “Ahaha I was j/k” or “I just prefer the PS3″.

58. Hunam

“^^ You know, I could be wrong, but I could swear that you’re one of the people who are always making negative comments about MW2…

Now you know just how annoying you are.”

Actually, I make comments about Activisions handling of IWard and the PC debacle. I bought MW2 from play.com 3 weeks ago for £25 and couldn’t be happier. I have a 25 kill streak but sadly didn’t have the nuke equipped :(

59. Hunam

Lol, I’m sure he just got bored of your repetitive prattle.

60. theevilaires

LMAO hard I know who you are DaMan. I had to wait to see if my clues matched and they have. Yup I know who you are now….and no I’m not talking about someone originally from this site like Psychotext,O’Connor,or Mike.

Yea I’m pretty sure its you…which means you’ve been chewed up and spit out by every so called PS3 fanboy you’ve come across. Well let me fill you in on something. Elpresador ain’t got nothing on me. So why don’t you give up the tough guy act before you get your feelings hurt and I have you scratching the walls in your bathroom corner whispering “theevilaires isn’t real, he can’t be real, he just can’t be a real person” :D

61. DaMan

Lol, I see you went properly mental again. first multiple Psychotexts, then Morriusses, then O’Conner’s. now I’m someone else.

tell you what, I’ve posted on two english sites on the internet, this one and another.

62. theevilaires

Hunam said: Considering you say you don’t care what people say about you, I do recall you didn’t post for nearly 2 months in shame after winning that fanboy award.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG! shamed!? come on man thats the funniest thing I’ve read or heard all day. Holy shit…..I can’t believe you think that. That is hilarious.

Hey Cort if you are reading this please correct this clown :D

AHAHAHAHAHA he said I was “shamed” :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Oh yes Garratt got me good for being a naughty boy. He made a internet contest to shame me (dying of hysterical laughter) :D :D wait let me just submit this so I can laugh some more while trying to keep my guts from exploding from so much laughter.

Stephany THANK YOU for posting this article :D I LOVE YOU :D

63. Mauller

This thread makes me sad to be a long time gamer.

64. DaMan

see, he even admitted he ‘s a troll. Shatner should be proud, kids are trying to be like him. though, I have to say he did it with taste..

65. Gekidami

You know, ‘lol’ is the shorter, less retarded version of “AHAHAHAHAHAHA”…

66. theevilaires

Gek will this do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKiTjE26WZY

its a better description of my laughter….im still laughing BTW…Mauller I’m sorry but the tears of laughter feels so good :D

67. DaMan

recognition, at last..

68. Hunam

Hmmm.

To be honest, I had a great day, then a really shitty day and now I’m acting like a dickhead on the internet. Sorry folks for dragging shit on again. I really need to learn to let things go.

69. NiceFellow

Wrong! Obviously. So much evidence to the contrary, on multiple consoles, that this isn’t even worth of scorn.

24 hour news (no offense to you guys, you’re just the messenger) really does surface so much twaddle that in days gone by wouldn’t even have been dignified with any public visibility at all.

70. Gekidami

Yes, back on topic.
    I cant say i agree with him, the only argument he’s putting up is that the game isnt multiplat. Which obviously is ridiculous because most genre defining/benchmark games have only been on one platform, you just have to look at the past to void his opinion.

71. dirigiblebill

This thread.

72. Mauller

I just can’t understand the cross platform hatred. I don’t remember console wars ever being as bitter in the past as they’ve been this generation. I don’t understand what business it is of anyone who plays what console? If one person likes a game and another doesn’t, who cares? Does that persons dislike some how tarnish your enjoyment?

73. DaMan

dirigible no no http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0hP3r_nfW0

74. Mauller

Back on topic. I started playing the first one and blew through it in a weekend and I really enjoyed it. I’ve since borrowed the second from a friend but I haven’t gotten around to playing it yet. I’m really looking forward to it.

I do need a new receiver though. When I turn on DTS, my sound is fine for most things but some games keep making my sub thump and speakers pop for no reason. :(

75. daytripper

now i know why a lot of people dont bother with video game forums anymore, its awful reading.

76. Blerk

Holy crap!

Also: what a bizarre thing for him to say.

77. xino

who said it redefined action games?

78. Galactic_Barret

I don’t think TR and UC have anything in common. Anyone who has played both knows they’re nothing alike. They only share the ‘raiding’, but the motivations and everything else are completely different. TR is way more adventure, UC is way more action.
    Also, I do believe UC set benchmarks, just not in gameplay. Character interaction, development and plot intergration, off the top of my head. Then again, minimalizing a game’s impact X months after release is the norm.

79. Dralen

He sure as hell used a very controversial word when he described this game. Anyways, all I know is Naughty Dog did an amazing job on this game. They took the best bits from the best games and made it into a super game, which deservedly won GOTY.

80. Eregol

It may not have redefined them, but it sure is a great game.
    Castlevania looks ok. But I’m willing to bet it wont be very special.
    It definitely wont redefine anything. Bayonetta made sure of that.

It didn’t get GOTY at the Baftas though.

81. fear_itself

It’s funny how journos can report things out of context in order to stir up a storm isn’t it?
    This is what he was asked:-

“Work on CLOS must be well underway, so how did it feel when Uncharted 2 came out and redefined people’s expectations of third-person action games? What does Uncharted 2 do well… and how can you raise the bar?”

So, it was PSM that stated that UC2 redefined people’s expectations not the Producer bloke. And then this is what he said:

“Uncharted is a great game and I enjoyed it immensely. The main standout elements for me were the story and voice acting, which I think Castlevania – Lords of Shadow does very well. We’ve got a great script and some stellar actors like Patrick Stewart, Robert Carlyle; Jason Isaacs and Natascha McKelhone.

Visually as well, Uncharted 2 was a very beautiful game to look at, so on a technical level it impressed me.

As for, if Uncharted 2 redefines 3rd person action games? I don’t think that it does. For me, it was a very highly polished, very well constructed 3rd person game but not a redefinition of the genre. Certainly a high point but not a redefinition.

Plus, Uncharted was a single format release. I think if any game is going to set a benchmark for a genre it would need to do so across multiple platforms.

Anyway, Castlevania Lords of Shadow isn’t trying to compete with Uncharted at all. If you want to make a comparison, I would suggest a game like Prince of Persia would be nearer the mark.”

So, it looks to me like he praised the hell out of UC2 not dissed it.

I think he was saying that it refined but it didn’t redefine the genre. Plus, if you think about it, for everyone that DOESN’T have a PS3 it refined/redefined nothing for them as they didn’t play it or experience it.

82. Dralen

The BAFTA people wouldn’t know a good game of the year if it slapped them in the chops.