Ninja Theory: Heavenly Sword sales “still not enough to break even”

Monday, 29th March 2010 16:38 GMT By Johnny Cullen

heavenly-sword

Ninja Theory has claimed it didn’t break even with the PS3-exclusive Heavenly Sword.

Speaking with CVG at a hands-on for Enslaved, the developer’s latest project, co-founder Tameem Antoniades said:

Heavenly Sword came out pretty early on the PS3, and we sold, I think, a million and a half copies, and that’s still not enough as an independent studio to break even.”

Antoniades said cash was the reason Ninja Theory went multi-plat for Enslaved.

These comments may just rule out Heavenly Sword 2 being the new “secret project” on which Ninja Theory has started development.

Thanks, Blerk.

1. V_Ben

well, I’d assume that a lot of the costs went on developing a next gen engine, and using all that facial capture tech. Now that the studio is better equipped, I’d conclude, for PS3/360 games, then surely costs would go down, and they would be far better suited to breaking even.

But I’m not a developer, what do I know ;-)

2. Erthazus

Ahahaha… 1 million and 400000 copies with small PS3 userbase at the start is not enough to break even? Woosh…

3. endgame

they should also consider the pc. we need more 3rd person action games.

4. woodyrulesok

Shame more people didn’t play this. I thought it was a really good game.

5. Gskyace

If they can make it as good as GOW3 at an early age…they won’t say that.

They can even try put their products on Iphone.

Come on,It’s easy enough for their ability.

6. blackdreamhunk

they should fix the game up and release on the pc

7. Phoenixblight

They won’t BDH. Its owned by Sony. No use going all the way back to the days of PS3 release to release this game which didn’t even sell well on the console it was meant for to fix it for the PC.

8. Erthazus

@6 Yeah BDH, its just Sony Computer Entertainment owns Heavenly Sword franchise ;)

Oh, i forgot, you don’t like Buttton mashing games right? :D

9. Retroid

Ouch. I presume as part of the deal for it to be exclusive Sony would’ve offset some of the costs, yet they *still* lost on it?

Glad it didn’t take them down.

10. Phoenixblight

Well you have to figure when this game came out SOny was barely crawling with the PS3 because of its original price.

11. OlderGamer

Wasn’t a bad game really.

I rented it, semi-enjoyed it. Wasn’t my cup of tea enough to own it was all.

As far as multiplat goes, seems like a no brianer.

12. itsucks

average game, bundle to hell and still overpriced for such a short & old god of war copy-cat.

They expected it to fare any better… why?

13. Happy Hardon Harry

“It’s just that when so many people have Xbox – I mean over half the market or more has Xbox 360s – why limit yourself to one platform?”

_____

Indeed, exclusives will go the way of the dodo with only first party games being exclusive to each system.

3rd party developers need to make money off their games and thus means going multi-platform.

I hate exclusives, all it does for developers is limit the folk who want to play their games, not to mention, losing shit loads of money into the bargain.

14. MushroomStamp

The game is only worth a rental, so not shocking at all.

15. theevilaires

The game hand a bad chance of selling well with its early release in the PS3′s 1st year on the market. When the attitude at the moment around the net and every street corner was hate SONY, love Nintendo and M$.

If Heavenly Sword had been a title that was developed by a team who could make this games ambition (hundreds of enemies on the screen at once) a reality then this game would have been just as great as GOW3. SONY owns the I.P. and they could hand it off to Santa Monica but who knows.

The game was a button smasher most of the times at best, but the story and presentation was great. Game devs also need to stop using euro English accent people in their games unless its really necessary because the accent is a turn off to a lot of gamers who are not from that region of the Earth.

If Heavenly Sword was done today with the new unlocked PS3′s potential (more memory and understanding of the CELL’s SPU’s) and by a team like Santa Monica then it would have done better as a new I.P.

I hope we will see a part 2 on PS4.

16. bugmenot

@TEA
    heavenly sword did have hundredsmaybe thousands of enemies on screen, even the opening gameplay sequence featured this.
    at about the 2:00 mark
    it remains today a technically accomplished title, sporting a rare 720p 4AA(for ps3) framebuffer,
    the game had everything character,story,great lighting music, voice acting talent, huge set pieces, awesome cutscenes, it just failed at the most important hurdle Gameplay. The action was unresponsive. A digital foundry piece was later to discover this was down to an incredible 300ms controller latency which explained why everyone had grief with the controls.

17. DaMan

Dynasty Warriors and Drakengard also had shitloads of enemies on screen.

totally forgettable game, the whole point was to show off PS3 graphics back then, which it did. albeit half assed, with framedrops all over the place. and the gameplay was piss poor. in five years only hardcore Sony fanboys will remember this title.

18. The Hindle

Plus there was no jump button which really annoyed me when i played it.

19. frod

Wow, just how much does exclusive PS3 development cost? No wonder it has so few exclusives.

20. Erthazus

@19 few? Really? REALLY?

21. DaMan

also, lol @ tea last paragraph.

if my grandmother had balls she’d be my grandfather.

22. theevilaires

bugmenot I know it had all that I’m just saying If they had better grips (Ninja theory) of the CELL like devs do now that game’s ambition would have came to light like it should have.

Let a team like Santa Monica or Naughty Dog remake it and see what that game can truly be like when developed in the right hands.

@ Daman: the game is good and will always go down as one of Sony’s best I.P.’s don’t spread your ignorance so others won’t give the game a try.

23. DaMan

it’s comments like this that make me sad I owned a Sony console at all.

24. theevilaires

feel free to donate it my friend your loss really.

25. frod

@20 errr, yes? Third party, of course. What planet are you on?

26. DaMan

right.. no u. tea, are you trying to beat bdh and become the ultimate fanboy? well, you already did that.