Kotick says Acti’s “sticking with” DJ Hero brand despite first outing

Saturday, 16th January 2010 20:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

djehro

Bobby Kotick has said Activision’s sticking with its DJ Hero franchise despite the title’s debut not being as successful at retail as the company had hoped.

Despite the lack of sales, Kotick maintains that there are risks when creating new franchises, and sometimes it’s not gotten right the first time – citing debut titles from developers Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Raven and Neversoft as examples.

“I think DJ Hero is a really innovative product. I can’t wait for you to see next year’s,” Kotick told Game Informer (thanks, GoNintendo).

“That’s the thing; we’re sticking with it. We’ll stick with it and get it right. But it’s going to be less games, better games. That’s our strategy.”

DJ Hero 2 was recently confirmed during the music trade event MIDEM 2010, followed by an official announcement via a press release.

1. Alakratt

“But it’s going to be less games, better games” Hmm…sounds like EA’s strategy. Anyway, I’ll believe it when I see it, since he already announced another DJ Hero for next year. Sounds to me like it’s the same strategy Acti has been doing all along, milking the Hero franchise annually.

2. Uncontested

Better Games… yet you stick with a game thats a financial sink pit and didnt sell diddly? lol

No wonder these studios are tanking.

3. Phoenixblight

Edit: Doh!

4. MushroomStamp

Hopefully they will learn that being a DJ is not about Hip-Hop music. Look at the hottest clubs in just about any city and you will not find hip hop as the music. This had a HORRIBLE track list a controller that did nothing more than reshape a guitar.. same generic gameplay/control as Guitar Hero and gives NO resemblance of being a DJ.

5. Hunam

FEAR was Monolith, who are owned by Warner Bros.

Prototype was amazing and Radical entertainment is still going.

Phoenix, your post confuses me.

6. Phoenixblight

I was going off of heresay from someone that works as a Tester for Activision. Obviously he was blowing smoke out of his ass. But I apologize for my comment and you are right Hunam.