Splinter Cell dev diary highlights Sam’s “speed and brutality”

Thursday, 5th November 2009 09:27 GMT By Patrick Garratt

splintercell

The second Splinter Cell Conviction dev diary’s after the break, containing new gameplay footage, plot details and a focus on Sam’s newly “enraged” combat prowess.

“The biggest difference between the previous Splinter Cells and Conviction lies in the character’s combat speed and brutality,” said Gilles Monteil, animation director.

“We had to find a martial art that fits the character and the situations he would find himself in.”

The team picked Israeli combat system Krav Maga. Think Bourne on killer crack.

“Krav Maga’s not a big flashy martial art. He’s not going to be doing spinning back kicks, or anything like that,” added Steve Masters, lead game designer.

“What he is doing is being extremely efficient in taking people down in a fast, effective manner.”

Check it out. It really does look wicked. Conviction releases for PC and 360 on February 26.

1. Patrick Garratt

Can. Not. Wait.

2. No_PUDding

Ugh, “I have a message for those who stand in my way… Pray”

WHAT THE FUCK UBISOFT. I liked the video until that guy started speaking in Spanish, and I had to read subtitles.

3. Mike

It’s amazing how much the Bourne films changed the face of the action hero across many mediums. (for the better)

Anyway, this looks awesome. The more heads I can slam on tables and the more necks I can throttle as their heads bounce back up again the better.

4. Psychotext

I’ve noticed that VG247 is collectively obsessed with crack.

…is there something you want to tell us loyal readers?

5. Patrick Garratt

You’ve never smoked crack? What’s up with you? Get to it.

6. Mike

Oh One Two, Oh My God
    One Two, Oh My God, I’ve Got Some Shit
    I’ve Got The Kung Fu Grip Behind My Green Trap Kit
    Never Ever Ever Smoking Crack
    Never Ever Ever Fucking Wack
    I Eat The Fuckin’ Pineapple Now & Laters
    Listen To Me Now, Don’t Listen To Me Later
    Fuck It ‘Cause I Know I Didn’t Make It Fuckin’ Rhyme For Real
    But, Yo Technically I’m As Hard As Steel
    Gonna Get It Together, Watch It, Gonna Get It Together Ma Bell
    I’m Like Ma Bell, I’ve Got The Ill Communications

7. Psychotext

:D

Back on topic, they still need to explain how Sam has lost 10 years since the last game and now looks like a member of a Nu-Metal band.

(Oddly enough, he looks young in gameplay, and old in cutscenes, especially the last one they show in that vid)

8. Gheritt White

OMG do want now, and muchly so. Ubi make all my favourite games – PoP, SC and AC.

9. No_PUDding

Yeah, there’s a lot of inexplicable chnages.

10. No_PUDding

By the way Pat, my mum would be disgusted that you are condoning crack.

What do you say to that?

11. The Hindle

Wow day one confirmed. On another note Ubisoft really do good looking female game designers :)

12. davidkenobi

At least, someone on Ubi speaks French !!! WTF

13. Patrick Garratt

David – Ubi Montreal ;)

14. Johnny Cullen

Properly pumped for this. This is now my goto stealth series now, considering they will all but fuck up Metal Gear Solid: Rising somehow.

15. No_PUDding

Johnny, and you call this stealth?

Ugh.

16. Patrick Garratt

The crack thing was a joke. Please do not try crack, get addicted to crack, let crack ruin your lives, develop some kind of heart complaint and die. Should you do so, it’s not my fault.

17. Blerk

What about heroin? Is that okay?

18. Gheritt White

Why don’t you give it a shot and report back to us?

19. Edward Cullen

shit that chick was cute.