Iwata: 3 Wii titles have the “potential” to sell 10 million this year

Monday, 10th August 2009 13:43 GMT By Johnny Cullen

satoruiwataa

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said he sees three titles being released this year – Wii Sports Resort, New Super Mario Bros Wii and Wii Fit Plus – to sell over ten million units.

“I believe each of these three software titles have the potential to surpass 10 million copies worldwide in the whole fiscal year,” said the exec, speaking in an investor Q&A released by Nintendo yesterday.

He added: “We recognise this Q1 result is not the strongest and closer to the lower parameters of our expectations, but we expect we can reverse the situation through the full-fiscal year and therefore did not revise out forecast.”

Mario Galaxy 2 to sell a billion units at launch? Bet on it.

1. ChrisPilote

@Iwata : Optimism and naïvety are two different things.

2. Bringit

Well… to be fair to the guy he might be right.

Wii Fit sold over 18 million units in a year. New Super Mario Bros on DS has currently sold 18.5 million units, and Wii Sports (yes, I know it was bundled with the console) has sold nearly 50 million units worldwide.

3. Hero of Canton

I actually think that’s fairly realistic – even conservative in the case of Resort.

4. ChrisPilote

Good for them I guess.

5. Tonka

None of those titles are/will be crap.

6. theevilaires

Tonka what flavor hot pockets are you having for lunch today you troll.

7. anasui

rofl

8. Hunam

“That depresses me. They sell shit-loads of crap while Sega only sold about 40K Yakuza 2 (Japan excepted).
    Good for them I guess.”

Maybe that’s because Nintendo advertise their games where SEGA have more of a “Oh, btw, some yakuza game is out today kthxbai”.

Valkyria Chronicles would have bombed if it wasn’t for the relentless enthusiasm the game garnered by just being fresh and amazing. I’ve got both Yakuza games and I love them, but they aren’t exactly original titles that stand out from the crowd. Amazing cutscenes though.

9. Tonka

I had Thai food for lunch.

10. theevilaires

Thai flavored hot pockets wow you’re expanding your diet to new and interesting things, good boy. Now don’t forget to put the pointy end of the straw in your capris sun first.

11. anasui

I’m actually amazed at how people keep tolerating you, tea. Must be because you’re a Sony fan :p

12. Whizzo

Every village needs its idiot.

13. Gamoc

Iwata: ‘Hooray for casual and non-game crap!’