Bionic Commando gets 27,000 US sales in May

Monday, 15th June 2009 15:56 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bioniccommando6

Whoops. NPD’s confirmed to Gama that Capcom’s Bionic Commando only managed 27,000 unit sales in the US in May, its debut month.

The reboot shipped on May 19. That figure’s a total score across both 360 and PS3.

Nicht so gut. Hit is for more.

1. Blerk

Ouch. I imagine it didn’t do much better here either, given that it appears to have dropped to £17 already.

2. Blerk

Actually, here’s a tip, Capcom – if you want to actually sell a game which isn’t an “immediate buy” to more than three people, you might want to try releasing a single-player demo in the future.

3. Psychotext

This is because there wasn’t a PC version. If there was a PC version, this would be because the developers dumbed down for consoles. If it was only on PC, it would be because Capcom are primarily console devs (and about to go bankrupt).

Am I doing it right? \o/

4. Blerk

Not rabid enough. :-D

Joystiq are claiming that Terminator Salvation only did 43,000 units in the same time-frame, too. Looks like there might be more trouble ahead at Grin.

5. Gekidami

PC version comes out next month, that’ll rise the sales to about 27,010 :D

6. theevilaires

was there enough marketing? I didn’t hear much of storm before the game launched. I wish the team who made the remake for psn would add trophies.

7. Aimless

I can’t say I’m surprised. Personally I really enjoyed the game, but it has some truly bizarre design decisions and isn’t the most friendly game in the world. Couple that with the complete lack of ‘buzz’ around the release and you’re in for some pretty uninspiring sales figures.

I was rather looking forward to there being a sequel as the first could be much improved fairly easily, but I suppose I should put those hopes in the same box as Shenmue 3 and Skies of Arcadia 2.

8. theevilaires

if most games start on PC first then why do they release later? Must be due to piracy.

9. theevilaires

10. Michael O'Connor

Didn’t something like a quarter of a million people buy the XBLA / PSN Bionic Commando remake?

The irony here is… ironic. *laughs*

11. Michael O'Connor

“I think Shenmue might make a come back on next gen consoles. That game was ahead of its time.”

Shenmue confirmed for 2019!

12. Blerk

The downloadable version apparently shifted 130,000 copies in its first week.

13. XDamage

Should be “nicht”, not “night”. ;)

14. Patrick Garratt

Whoops. Ta.

15. Captain Fruitloop

Hmmm. This doesn’t bode well for any other 80s ‘classics’ currently doing the remake thing.

What else is still to come? There’s Splatterhouse. Isn’t Golden Axe being remade/rebooted somewhere?

16. Blerk

Golden Axe got remade already last year. And was god-awful.

Splatterhouse got canned and then uncanned and then… I dunno what happened then. Nobody cares anyway. :-D

17. Michael O'Connor

Bionic Commando is a half decent game though.

18. Robo_1

Such a shame to read these reports. The game is really, really good. Sure they’ve made some daft decisions, but none of them stop the single player game from being a lot of fun.

I think the multiplayer demo killed it stone dead for a lot of people, that and some of the reviews it received were outright spiteful.

This news will probably kill Grin, and having followed the BC podcast for the last year, my sympathies go out to the team.

Honestly folks, at under 20 notes you could do a lot, lot worse than this.

19. Blerk

There’s still time for them to do a proper demo!

20. dirigiblebill

Superb game. Here’s hoping the chaps at Grin can weather this misstep and put their not inconsiderable talents to use elsewhere…

21. DrDamn

@Blerk and a proper demo needed

It’s a tricky game to control which needs getting used to. The absolute worse environment for that is a multiplayer deathmatch scenario on a level with lots of insta-death falls. The demo choice was absolute madness.

22. rainer

Ouch I wonder if the BC:Rearmed will have outsold it in total.

The game definitely needed a single player demo. Grin will probably survive just by the skin of their teeth if they can still get work, three duds in a row isn’t good for anyone’s rep.

23. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Agreed PS3 demo would be nice, seeing as how XBoxLive has had a demo for almost a month now.

Also agree BC: Rearmed trophy patch would be awesome!

24. theevilaires

yea i want to play a demo first or i might just rent it for the trophies

25. lk

I bought it day one, enjoyed it, but ultimately regret the purchase.
    well, as much as a “purchase” a birthday present may be.

Capcom needs to stop outsourcing stuff to the west, sorry, but it’s not working (see also: Konami). Hopes are still high for Dark Void though.

26. theevilaires

thats another 1up live has over psn. they get demos of almost every game. even if you don’t pay for gold the silver members still get it before psn users.

fun fact: the shittiest psn timed exclusive demo ever was marvel vs capcom 2…. runner up: haze :P

27. Aimless

Rearmed won’t be getting a Trophy patch, unless Capcom do an about turn in order to drum up interest in its bigger brother.

Also the Live demo is multiplayer only, showing the game off in the worst light possible; you’re not missing much.

28. MushroomStamp

LOL.. that’s cuz this game stinks.. after a couple hours of painfully forcing myself to play (cuz i loved the original), I just put it away, never to be played again.

29. Suikoden Fan

i bet the lack of re-armed trophies had a hand in this

30. theevilaires

yea if they would have implemened trophies for psn the game would have probably done better, it was $5 last month. Capcom is stupid, there are so many trophy whores ( like myself) that would have bought the game at the full $10 price tag if they only added trophies.

Devs are fucking stupid. Kojima i’m still waiting for my MGS4 trophies!!!!

and Valkyrie chronicles, adding trophies will boost sales. this shit is easy like the stock market, even a 3 year old could see that.

31. Hero of Canton

It’s a pity in one sense, because it has the best twist I’ve ever seen.