Nosgoth compared to Unreal Championship 2, is not a mobile game or MMO

Friday, 16th August 2013 11:44 GMT By Dave Cook

Legacy of Kain fans might want to check out Square’s recent chatter about Nosgoth, the online-only entry to the series canon that was outed last month. We’ve got some interesting quotes from the team here.

Over on the Eidos forums, Eidos community manager, George Kellion engaged in a fan Q&A to address any confusion regarding the project.

When describing what kind of game Nosgoth is, Kellion explained, “Nosgoth is not an MMO. It’s a competitive online multiplayer experience (…with a bit of a twist). Nosgoth will not be an MMORPG and Nosgoth doesn’t look or play anything like Dota 2 or League of Legends.

“While Nosgoth is unlike any other competitive online multiplayer game that I’ve played or am familiar with, the closest comparison is probably Unreal Championship 2. Not sure if Nosgoth is all that similar, but I suppose it’s closer to that than a traditional Legacy of Kain game, an MMO or a MOBA.”

Kellion stressed that due to the game’s online nature, Nosgoth will not be narrative-heavy, but it will be respectful of the series lore up to now, and will incorporate everything that has gone before into the mix.

It’s also not a mobile game, Kellion confirmed, and confirmed that the game is being built for PC, but may reach other formats in future. It only supports mouse and keyboard at present, is a third-person title, and bears no first-person camera.

When asked if Kain or Raziel would appear in the game, Kellion explained, “The game will be very violent, but as far as I’m aware the Soul Reaver sword does not appear in the game. Neither do Kain or Raziel for very good reasons – they’re both busy doing… other things at the time of the game’s setting.

“They’re in Nosgoth (obviously), but they’re not in Nosgoth (as in the game). It would make no sense for them to be so, narrative-wise. As explained before, it’s on a separate branch of the IP, but is in continuity with the overall lore. Also, Anarcrothe is NOT playable, totally wrong time-frame.”

He added that vampires are one of Nosgoth’s playable races, and that there will be no gunplay.

It’s also not linked narratively to the cancelled Legacy of Kain; Dark Sun project that was outed a few months back.

What do you make of the above?

Thanks NeoGAF & MP1st.

1. Elven_Star

Still sounds like crap.

#1 1 year ago
  2. orakaa

Why, just WHY???

Why do these morons take a game and totally change it? It was NEVER a multiplayer game in the first place, let alone an Unreal Championship kind of game. An story was the main aspect of those games.

It’s like taking Mario to turn it into a friggin’ FPS. If they wanted to do a multiplayer game, they should have started something new instead of taking something that will, apparently, have absolutely NOTHING to do with the original series and will be without narrative elements.

#2 1 year ago
  3. RefuseBunny

I don’t want to play a Legacy of Kain game that doesn’t have a story let alone one that is multiplayer only.
    I like single player games with a good story. That’s why I like the Legacy of Kain series.

It sounds to me like they are ditching the hardcore fans and going for the League of Legends and DOTA 2 crowd.
    I don’t play competitive online multiplayer games so I most likely won’t be playing this.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Sylrissa

“competitive online multiplayer experience” No thanks I’ll pass, the best thing about this series was it’s story and characters in a single player game.

Why do this :(

#4 1 year ago
  5. YoungZer0

#5 1 year ago
  6. roadkill

Wth is Unreal Championship? :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. fearmonkey

@6 – It was Unreal Tournament with modications for the original Xbox.
    They came out with two games, the first was pretty much Unreal Tournament, and Unreal Championship 2 was very different, third person mainly with pick ups.

They were both good games actually.

#7 1 year ago
  8. SplatteredHouse

@6 A truly glorious thing.
    Take a look, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN3PddDHF4Y, and for gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HYl8T6Jayg

#8 1 year ago
  9. TheWulf

I don’t really need to say anything, do I?

What made the previous games so amazing was the setting and the story, so I’m not really interested in this. It’s a shame, because a new Soul Reaver entry would have actually done the contemporary mainstream good.

Something interesting for once.

I think that mainstream publishers are trying very hard to disappoint me by showing me just how far their heads can go up their arses.

What a disappointment.

It’s all just turning into one, big samey mush. Same with Thief. Thief couldn’t be anything interesting, it just has to be a desaturated, po-faced Dishonored rip-off.

I miss when gaming was good.

At least I still have indies.

#9 1 year ago