Portal 2 fan backlash on Metacritic

Wednesday, 20th April 2011 14:45 GMT By Stace Harman

Customers unhappy with day one DLC and complaints of console-related messages in the PC build have driven down the Portal 2′s Metacritic user rating.

Angry gamers have taken to the score-aggregation site to voice their complaints, with accusations that the availability of day one DLC is a “slap in the face”.

At the time of writing, the game’s critic score sat at 95/100 for the PC version, whilst the user-rated score was a lower 7.3/10 – 185 of the 729 user ratings were negative.

By contrast, the original PC version of Portal has received 2,071 user ratings, with only 38 being negative giving it a user-rating of 9.6.

It’s worth noting if you’re thinking of heading over to Metacritic that some of the user ratings contain plot spoilers.

It just goes to show that you can’t please all of the people, all of the time.

In case you don’t already know, Portal 2 was released for PC via Steam earlier this week. It’s available through UK-based high street retailer Game today and the PS3 and 360 versions available tomorrow, April 21.

1. Hunam

A lot of the length complaints are clearly wrong though. The steam game time thing is fucked and isn’t reporting time properly, and these clever folks who seemingly completed the game in 4 hours can’t tell the time. Like for instance, it took me over 7 hours, yet steam claims it took me 56 minutes.

The console message thing is just a screen that got submitted to all builds of the game last minute a Valve dev confirms. That is actually seemingly the sole basis for the game being a bad port, which is the most stupid thing in the world as the game is clearly built from the ground up on the PC version from what I played.

As for the store, yeah it’s shit. People complaining about it are taking it over the top because it’s just hat’s and skins etc, not levels or anything. But it’s hard not to see why people are annoyed at being asked to pay £3.50 for an animation for a co-op robot. But it’s not something you have to buy as everyone seems to cry about with DLC these days. If you don’t like it don’t buy it, but I can agree it is a bit cheeky.

2. TheBlackHole

Nobody cares about user scores on Metacritic anyway.

Everybody knows it’s somewhere for trolls to direct their pointless vitriol.

3. LOLshock94

it was soo obvious that the game wasnt gunna be long retarded gamers

4. Blerk

People aren’t happy unless they’re moaning.

And I should know! :-D

5. runbmp

The game has an acceptable length, I mean to today’s standards. You obviously can’t compare it to the length of HL2…

The virtual goods aren’t true DLC’s. Their basically skins, hats, ect.

And yes although the hint system and some of the puzzles require less effort, this wasn’t done at the expense of console users.

It was simply done to reach a broader audience of users across all platform. Much like most titles nowadays, COD, BFBC2, Homefront, ect.

Here’s hoping more engaging and difficult puzzles are released.

6. Hunam

To be honest though, the game is good, just not the 10/10 the jurno’s have bandied around.

7. Dr.Ghettoblaster

If you read many of those negative comments, a LOT of them are complaining about the same thing in different words. Wouldn’t surprise me if many of them are all written by the same person. What a waste of time, space, and energy..

8. Phoenixblight

Or Trolls have a hive mind?

9. Blerk

Or those things really are annoying a whole bunch of people?

10. DuckOfDestiny

I’ve completed it twice now, first time four hours, second time two and a half. I can tell the time perfectly fine.

But, I’m not complaining about it’s length, it’s the best six and a half hours I’ve ever spent on a game in a long time. And heck, it must be good if I enjoyed it so much I wanted to play through it twice on the same day, I have never wanted to do that with any other game, ever,

11. Phoenixblight

“But I can see why some people would be pissed off with a game costing over £/$20, that length would feel not enough. I say to them though quality > quantity.”

Yet people just eat up COD which is 3 hour campaign and pay a lot more, funny that. Portal 2 has a lot more potential especially with the CO OP and then you know there will be new maps and what have you. Sorry but Valve actually comes up with far better ideas than just new Maps and then put a 20$ tag on it.

12. strikkebil

who the fuck cares about the user rating??

13. Dr.Ghettoblaster

^ Maybe some…users?

14. Crab of Thunder

Metacritics user ratings are notoriously bad, people tend to rage/troll and give it 0, which very few things deserve, or they praise it to no end and give it 10. There are hardly any well thought out reveiws with a decent score.

15. Golden

I seem to remember the 1st portal caused discussion over game length, but the general consensus was its bloody ace so who cares.

Really, does it matter? We pay for quality experiences now, not length. Don’t want to buy a game that’s 4-5 hours long? Don’t buy it, rent it instead or wait a month or two. Nobody is forcing us to buy on day one. You either want to play it day one without reviews/ peer feedback or you don’t. There really isn’t any excuse anymore for making uninformed decisions anymore.

Quite frankly I am sick of hearing game length as measure of quality. Is a Haiku crap because it not the length of Frank Herberts Dune. Are artists judged on the size of their paintings? Small paintings shit, big paintings ace.

Damn you metacritic trolls you’ve won, I’m incensed.

16. DSB

I’m kinda sad that this is actually being considered news.

It doesn’t really matter what popular game you look at, people are gonna rag about it, and you really don’t have to read very many of those “dissatisfied customers’” posts, to recognize the verifiable bullshit being spat out in those columns.

I actually saw a guy saying the game was one of the best he’d ever played, but he couldn’t rate it higher than a 3 because the multiplayer didn’t work the way he’d like it to. It’s completely ridiculous.

This is the equivalent of polling homeless nutjobs on the street about politics, and validating their crap by printing the results.

Qualified criticism is fine, but that just clearly couldn’t be further from being the case here.

17. freedoms_stain

@1, it’s calling 8.8 hours for me and I’d say that was pretty close, Completed the SP and 4 of the 5 co-op sections in that time. I started at ~1pm, finished up for the day after 11pm and had a couple of hours off in the middle. That’s pretty short considering I was expecting roughly double that.

18. Dannybuoy

Silly rabbits

19. Gekidami

“In addition, some PC gamers are unhappy about the game’s supposedly console-centric nature – an in-game message apparently refers to not turning off the ‘console’ whilst the game is saving. Further complaints have focused on the length of the game.”
    Seriously, and this is enough to get PC gamers butt hurt?
    PC gamers should do the industry a favor by committing mass suicide, bunch of whiny little babies.

20. DSB

I’ve been a PC gamer forever, and I couldn’t agree more. They’re really just embaressing themselves at this point.

21. UuBuU

@19 – It does seem a little bit petty and certainly isn’t something to throw a big tantrum about.

But still, I imagine 360 owners wouldn’t be too impressed if a game told them to press triangle.

22. Gekidami

^ They wouldn’t be impressed, but i doubt they’d throw a temper tantrum and sabotage a games metacritic user score over it.

I’m pretty sure that type of stuff has actually happened in console games before.

23. DSB

Console doesn’t neccesarily mean a gaming console though. That’s certainly also worthy of consideration. A PC can be as much of a console as anything.

With Crysis 2 telling you to press start, there’s certainly no ambiguity, but console is way too vague to get your panties in a twist. I mean, if getting your panties in a twist over something like that was acceptable behaviour to begin with.

Silly non-definitive wiki quote: “The system console, root console or simply console is the text entry and display device for system administration messages, particularly those from the BIOS or boot loader, the kernel, from the init system and from the system logger. It is a physical device consisting of a keyboard and a screen.”

24. UuBuU

@22 – I agree, it’s a complete overreaction.

I mean, does something like that really hinder gameplay in any way or make it a lesser game? Not at all.

25. GwynbleiddiuM

Length is as important as any other aspect of a game, so quit being so quick to back the short length games cause it’s stupid. First portal was about the same length and was packed in Orange Box with lot’s of other things. Singleplayer market is a total ripoff these days they just want your money and they wont offer as much as you pay them.