Europe thought Army of Two was “ridiculous and tasteless,” says EA EP

Tuesday, 8th December 2009 09:12 GMT By Patrick Garratt

armyoftwo4

Europeans didn’t like Army of Two, apparently. According to EA Montreal EP Reid Schneider, they really didn’t like it.

“We had this whole market in the US that thought the tone was cool, but in Europe everyone thought it was ridiculous and tasteless and a bunch of frat guys running around,” said the developer, speaking to GI.

“One of the things we learned was that we’re never going to be able to please both. So the way you interact with your partner and decisions you make – if you’re doing a lot of fist bumps – these influence the tone and the dialogue of your character. If your taking it on a more serious level then the game reacts seriously.”

With sequel Army of Two: The 40th Day releasing in January, Schneider added that the second game will allow players to set the tone through their own play-style.

“It’s really important for us tonally to appeal to the European audience because with the core audience in that territory, the game really turned them off so deeply that they couldn’t get to the game underneath.

“In a movie you’re distanced from those characters and you’re watching them, but in a game you are those characters and if they say something you find bothersome it rips you right out of the experience. We wanted to change the overall dialogue but also let the player tell their own a story a little bit more.”

Hit the link for more. The 40th Day’s out on January 15.

1. evilashchris

How clever!

2. Mattigan

So, let me get this straight. They actually realise that there are people in the world who are not 14 year old American schoolboys and are going to try to actively cater for this ‘alien’ audience?!

Will wonders ever cease….

3. WizardWeb

Yeah it was a bit too American, lots of whooping and flag waving. Some of which was hilarious but not in a laughing with them type way. It was just ridiculous. The ending was so disappointing though ! You didn’t even get to shoot the bad guy ! It was done in a cut scene !

That said, the original is a good co-op game and one of the few that let you sit next to someone whilst playing rather than over the net. Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 (which sounds like a football score) is the only other good one that I’ve found. There should be more good, story mode co-op games !

4. Tonka

No shit Sherlock!

5. Doc Robotnik

I thought this game was terrible. I love pretty much anything that let’s me play in co-op, but I genuinely couldn’t even finish this.

I don’t think it helped that I’d just finished Gears 2.

6. El_MUERkO

“One of the things we learned was that we’re never going to be able to please both.”

????

7. Robo_1

‘Ridiculous and Tasteless’

Get that quote slapped onto the retail box pronto. :D

8. Jadeskye

i loved it because it was so stupid and tasteless.

‘press A to show enthusiasm’ two guys in masks surrounded by corpses and they’re air guitaring.

You don’t get that anywhere else lol.

9. Hunam

I feel I have missed out on air guitaring to corpses.

10. LeD

I think mainly Europe realised there were better games to play when this was released.

11. Retroid

It’s because it *was* ridiculous and tasteless. The only cultural difference was that, apparently, Europeans noticed that.

12. jnms

@Retroid: Americans don’t notice ridiculous and tasteless as it is a large part of their culture.

13. Neolucifer

Enough excuses already … the game was just crappy .

In the end all that talk about first true co-op amounted to a SP campaign where instead of using an advantage , the partner was just a liability . Not to mention it was forced and cheesy …

“Oh lord we must go over there but look someone must go around and open the door for the other guy!!” or “Damnation !! I could drag my own butt over than wall or they could have just put a ladder , but i’d rather have you help me climb with your hand!”

If the problem was the retarded ambiance … Gears of War wouldnt have sold worldwide . See many of us find Gears stupid and cheesy , but it’s a good game otherwise .. hence sales .

I hope for them this article is just PR crap , and not a signs of what they really perceived didnt work with the game

14. phatb0y

Ridiculous and tasteless? Yup. Which is what made it so great.

Spent hours playing this in co-op. Good fun and pure, unadulterated bollocks. Its the Con Air of gaming.

Its funny how so many games make a big investment in story and character development and yet still manage to do it in such a ham-fisted fashion that you’re left not giving a fuck about the protagonists, let alone the plot.

I think theres definitely a market for games like Army of Two. If I’m honest I’d rather have a balls out Bill & Teds Big Haji Shooting Journey type of game than some pretentious cock trying to be edgy by slipping in a sex scene or giving the main character a back story that would be a psychoanalyst’s wet dream.

15. MasterChiefFenix

OMG. NO WAY! A GAME ABOUT 2 GUYS TEAMING UP TO KILL/ARREST/SAVE PPL ISN’T THAT CRAZY ON THE PLOT? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME! gotta love silly ppl for the lulz.

16. davylove21

Europeans just didn’t like the below standard gameplay and ineffective A.I. Americans like shiny things, which is fine.