Tag Archives: Strauss Zelnick
Fri, Dec 04, 2009 | 04:34 GMT
Borderlands’ expected to become a “key franchise” for Take-Two, according to both big bossman Strauss Zelnick and CEO Ben Feder.
This bit was cemented by the game’s “successful launch”.
So, it looks like there is more Borderlands in our future.
The call is ongoing, we’ll let you know if there is anything else you should be aware of.
Wed, Sep 02, 2009 | 08:15 BST
Guess what? Take-Two really doesn’t want to talk about GTA V. This is what Strauss Zelnick said tonight to an analyst in its Q3 earnings call when asked to give an indication as to when the next title in gaming’s greatest franchise is going to be announced:
“We’re not going to announce it. We’re not going to announce when we’re going to announce it. And we’re not going to announce the strategy about announcing it or about when we’re going to announce it either, or about the announcement strategy surrounding the announcement of the strategy.
“Any other questions?”
Big Strauss is a card, non?
Wed, Jul 22, 2009 | 11:39 BST
Marketrap has blasted Take-Two head Strauss Zelnick’s handling of the company recently, essentially accusing the chairman of either lying to the market or simply being outrageously bad as his job.
“If you’re keeping score, in a two year period, Mr Zelnick managed to, on three occasions, make vital statements that were within a matter of weeks proven to be either fabricated or just incredibly incompetent (or worse),” says the piece.
“Mr Zelnick managed to resist and reject [an EA] buyout offer that was triple the company’s current share price while claiming other interested parties who never emerged.”
Wed, Jun 17, 2009 | 22:37 BST
Take-Two head Strauss Zelnick needs his hits to be hittier, he’s confessed to VentureBeat.
“We announced it sold around 3 million units,” he said of BioShock. “I’d like to see a title like that sell 5 million units.
“That would make the difference for us. If you have four or five titles that are significantly successful, that will meaningfully change our profitability.”
BioShock 2 should out-perform the original, the exec said.
“BioShock got a lot of attention. It’s brand is huge. It won lots of awards. But it wasn’t as huge as a seller. I’m hopeful that BioShock 2 will benefit from the brand awareness, where people will play it even if they didn’t play the original.”
Zelnick added that Take-Two now has 16 games with sales in excess of 1 million units.
Full interview through there, including a pretty clear indication that you’re not going to see a GTA MMO any time soon.
Wed, Apr 08, 2009 | 15:58 BST
Director Gore Verbinski has passed on the fourth installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise in order to focus on the upcoming BioShock movie.
That’s fine, because, if we’re being honest, the last PotC film was shit anyway.
Take-Two head Strauss Zelnick said last year that the BioShock movie will release alongside a third game.
More over on SciFi Wire.
Wed, Apr 01, 2009 | 22:57 BST
Disbarred attorney Jack Thompson has called Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick “a sociopath” in an interview with VGChartz.
No joke. He also insulted his parents. Just for good measure.
When asked if he thought parents should be lawfully punished for purchasing M-rated games for their children, Thompson disagreed – but only to an extent.
“How would you have me target irresponsible parents? Throw them in jail? There’s a bit of a constitutional/legal problem there,” he said.
“If we were going to start targeting irresponsible parents, then we should be throwing Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick’s mother and father in the federal penitentiary. Now that would definitely be a good thing. They raised a sociopath.”
Read the rest through there, if you can be bothered.
Tue, Mar 10, 2009 | 22:52 GMT
Take-Two boss Strauss Zelnick said in the firm’s Q1 earnings call today that mature content on Nintendo platforms is something he’s going to do well. Go, Strauss.
“I do believe there is an opportunity for M-rated titles on Nintendo,on the DS and on the Wii,” he said. “I believe we’re the right company to be delivering that content.”
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is out March 20. Where’s GTA for Wii, then?
Tue, Dec 09, 2008 | 06:23 GMT
According to this Edge report, Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick’s claimed that tie ratios for GTA IV are the highest of any game in the series, at 32 percent for PS3 and 28 percent for 360.
The exec cited NPD data as proof.
“Our tie ratio for Grand Theft Auto IV illustrates the strength of the franchise,” said Zelnick, speaking at the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference this week.
GTA IV is currently the highest ranked game on Metacritic, with a score of 98 percent.
Tue, Aug 19, 2008 | 16:55 BST
Take-Two says it is expect to sign a confidentiality agreement with EA which will allow “EA to enter into Take-Two’s formal process to evaluate strategic alternatives,” writes CVG.
“We welcome EA into our formal process and look forward to demonstrating to their Board the significant strides made by Take-Two since they last undertook a detailed review of our business in early 2007,” said Strauss Zelnick, chairman of Take-Two
“Our Board remains unwavering in its belief that EA’s unsolicited conditional tender offer of $25.74 per share was inadequate and undervalued Take-Two’s world-class entertainment franchises and our strong operational and financial performance.”
More through the link.
By Mike Bowden
Tue, Aug 19, 2008 | 09:39 BST
EA’s announced that it won’t extend its deadline to buy Take-Two after its current deadline lapses tonight, saying that it doesn’t believe it could integrate the firm in time for Christmas if things drag on any longer.
Take-Two shares fell nearly 6 percent in premarket trade to $23.38 today.
The news comes after weekend talks between EA chief John Riccitiello and Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick.
EA has said it will see a three-year plan presentation from Take-Two, but that it’s five-times-renewed tender offer will drop tonight.
So that’s the end of that. For now.
Tue, Jul 22, 2008 | 13:01 BST
Speaking to VentureBeat at E3 last week, Take-Two boss Strauss Zelnick has said that one of his main challenges since taking over at the firm has been to deliver a business that’s stable in the “off” years from GTA – and he feels as though he’s close to achieving it.
“We aren’t giving guidance for 2009 yet,” he said. “But I feel very good that we can deliver on that goal of a profitable enterprise even in non-GTA years.
“Look at our array of hits and owned intellectual property. We have 30 million-plus selling titles, 15 of which are fully owned. BioShock. Carnival Games. Our entire 2K sports line-up, like NHL, MLB, and NBA. TopSpin tennis. Carnival Games for the DS and Carnival Games for Mini Golf. Civilization is out in the market now and doing extremely well. Midnight Club LA is coming up and the list goes on.
“It’s just not true that we are only about GTA.”
Lots more through the link, and very much worth a read.
Tue, Jul 22, 2008 | 07:30 BST
EA’s extended its tender offer for Take-Two, after capturing only 15 percent of the company’s shares with its previous deadline.
The offer is now valid until 11:59pm EST on August 18. This is the fourth time EA has extended its deadline in this way.
Take-Two chairman, Strauss Zelnick, responded, “Take-Two’s Board continues to be 100 percent committed to maximizing stockholder value and remains unanimous in continuing to recommend that our stockholders not tender their shares to EA.
“We are fully engaged in a formal process to evaluate strategic alternatives that have the potential to deliver greater value than EA’s inadequate offer. As part of this process, we continue to engage in meaningful discussions with multiple parties, a number of whom have been conducting due diligence. We also remain absolutely focused on executing on our strategic and business objectives.”
Tue, Jun 17, 2008 | 15:08 BST
Strauss Zelnick, Take-Two’s chairman, has responded to EA’s offer extension to July 18 with the same line he’s always stuck to – the price isn’t high enough.
“The latest extension of EA’s unsolicited, highly conditional tender offer does not alter the fact that their proposal still significantly undervalues Take-Two, a fact that is reflected in the overwhelming number of stockholders who still have not tendered their shares,” he said.
“Our Board of Directors remains in unanimous agreement that the proposal is contrary to the best interests of Take-Two stockholders, and the Board continues to recommend that stockholders not tender their shares to EA. The Board remains focused on the strategic process that began formally on April 30 to consider all alternatives to maximize value. We believe that these alternatives, which may include a business combination or remaining independent, will deliver greater value to stockholders than the current EA offer.”
CEO Ben Feder added: “Take-Two’s vast potential to create and enhance stockholder value has become even more evident in recent weeks, with the runaway success of Grand Theft Auto IV, a product pipeline that is one of the strongest and most creative in our history, and continued operational and financial progress. We believe that any alternative we consider must fully reflect the value we are creating and capture that value for the benefit of our stockholders.”
Press release after the link.
Wed, Jun 11, 2008 | 07:00 BST
Speaking at the Piper Jaffray consumer conference in New York yesterday, Take-Two boss Strauss Zelnick admitted that the company is actively pursuing interests in episodic content, saying the model takes a lot of the risk out of retail.
“If we can get a good model for episodic content for high quality titles, that should be a pretty profitable business because there are no hard goods associated with it,” he said.
The company head also talked about micro-transactions at the event, saying that allowing players to “change the way characters look, [add] weapons, cars and the like” is a valid way forward and that he has an aim at the moment to “turn packaged goods partially into a subscription business, and drive some of the volatility out.”
Fri, Jun 06, 2008 | 14:55 BST
What a night. Following the release of the first in-game footage of Duke Nukem Forever, Take-Two issued second quarter financials and a mass of news on Grand Theft Auto, Bioshock, a GTA IV DLC delay and much more. You missed the release and the conference call because you’re not hardcore enough to do nothing but videogames news for your entire waking life. Luckily, we are. All the links below. Alternatively, hit this.
- Take-Two may enter rhythm-action space
- EA offer costs Take-Two $5.3 million in legal fees
Bioshock movie may come alongside third game, says Zelnick
- GTA IV DLC: Same team and studio making content, delay nothing to do with dev issues
- GTA accounted for 78% of Take-Two’s revenues for Q2
- Take-Two has 33 games in development, sports business to make loss this year
- Take-Two actively in discussions with a number a companies over buyout
- Rumour confirmed: Gore Verbinski to direct Bioshock movie
- GTA IV DLC delayed until Q1 FY 09
- GTA IV sells 8.5 million units out of 11 million shipped, Bioshock hits 2.2 million
- Take-Two profits beats expectations on strong GTA IV
Fri, Jun 06, 2008 | 14:11 BST
Speaking in last night’s Q2 financials conference call, Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick admitted the firm was looking at the rhythm-action sector for potential future launches but was cautious of releasing a title at the moment.
“Possibly,” he said when asked if a music game was on the cards. “There’s nothing that we’ve disclosed on the release schedule right now. Is it a music genre? Is it a rhythm genre? It all remains to be seen how that genre holds up over time, and that’s terribly important when you invest in AAA properties that you expect people to play for over 20 hours.”
Hit this for the rest of our news from the financials report and yesterday.
Fri, Jun 06, 2008 | 11:15 BST
Speaking in an investor call related to just-released Q2 financials, Take-Two head Strauss Zelnick said that the now-confirmed Bioshock film would not release alongside Bioshock 2 next year.
“It’s more likely that it would be released coincident with BioShock 3,” he said.
This is, obviously, the first time a third Bioshock game has ever been mentioned.
As reported earlier, Gore Verbinski will direct and produce the movie.
Tue, May 20, 2008 | 09:01 BST
EA has confirmed it is to extend its $25.74 per share tender offer to buy Take-Two to June 16, to which Take-Two’s responded in the predictably nonchalant way, saying the offer undervalues the company.
EA had acquired only 8 percent of Take-Two’s shares before its deal offer timed-out on Friday.
“This is the same highly conditional proposal that EA offered Take-Two stockholders on March 13, 2008, which our Board of Directors thoroughly reviewed and unanimously determined to be inadequate and contrary to the best interests of Take-Two’s stockholders,” said Take-Two boss Strauss Zelnick.
“As such, the recommendation of our Board of Directors that stockholders not tender their shares to EA remains unchanged. The Board is committed to maximizing stockholder value and is exploring all strategic alternatives to do so. We said we were willing to begin formal discussions with interested parties on April 30, following the launch of Grand Theft Auto IV, and we have in fact begun that process. We are confident in the significant growth potential of Take-Two and in the unique value of our business given our strong position in this growing and dynamic industry.”
Press release after the link.
Wed, May 07, 2008 | 10:38 BST
Speaking in this CNBC interview, Take-Tweo chairman Strauss Zelnick has claimed that there are no technical problems with GTA IV at all.
When asked about any issues with the game, Zelnick replied, “No, none whatsoever. I’d say the only issue is that someone came up to me yesterday in a restaurant and said my thumbs were hurting from the weekend.”
Genius. This lot are all tripping then, presumably. Thanks, Maxconsole.
Fri, May 02, 2008 | 09:48 BST
Bit late on this, but Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick’s told the New York Times that he feels “vindicated” in fighting off EA’s advances by the initial success of GTA IV.
“The critical and consumer response to Grand Theft Auto IV vindicates our strategy of waiting until the launch with regard to EA’s offer,” he said.
EA isn’t taking any notice.
“We’ve seen a share price above and below our offer and it doesn’t change anything. We knew the game would be an extraordinary success,” said EA communications boss Jeff Brown. “All of that was factored into our offer of $2 billion.”
More through the link.