PS2 has turned nine years old, folks and was unleashed on the world October 26, 2000.
To celebrate, Sony has sent along some figures and information on the system that you may not have known:
- One in every three US households own a PS2 system
- 140 million people around the world own a PS2
- The SOCOM franchise has become one of the most played of all time, with over 530 million online hours logged since the debut of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs in 2002 equaling 60,000 years of online play
- More than 500 million software units have been sold for PS2 in the US
- More than 485 developers have developed for the platform since its launch
- By the end of this fiscal year, nearly 10,000 titles in total will be available for the system
"With nine years under its belt, the PlayStation 2 system shows no signs of slowing down and at $99 it still offers hours of fun for the whole family", said Sony.
"The PlayStation 2 system is well on its way to delivering ten years of value to consumers and will continue to serve as a testament to the leading innovation and unbeatable entertainment the PlayStation brand provides its consumers."
Happy Birthday, then.