Sea of Thieves players: say farewell to your spyglass willies because they have been patched out.
Sea of Thieves has been patched to remove an issue with spyglasses caused with update 1.2.4. Hopefully, you had plenty of fun making spyglass wangs and took tons of screenshots before it was fixed.
Along with today's patch, Rare provided insight into why it changes were made to the Barrel system, something with didn't please many players. You can hear design director Mike Chapman discuss the subject in the latest developer video posted above the patch notes.
Patch 1.2.5 adds the first of many quality of life improvements to the barrel system today:
- Bilge Rat Doubloons - To reward pirates who keep the skeleton scourge at bay, Doubloons for Cursed Crews Commendations will remain available to earn even after the Cursed Crews Bilge Rat Adventure ends.
- Empty Barrel Tooltip - Barrels now display a tooltip to indicate they are empty. Players will no longer need to interact with a barrel in order to discover there is nothing inside.
- Resource Balancing - Barrels are less likely to be found empty in the world, helping to reducing the time taken to restock ships.
- Quick Menu - The "Equipment" and "Resources" tabs within the Quick Menu have been swapped around as the "Resources" tab is used most commonly and should be the easiest to access.
- Here, Take This... Too! - Players can now give and share treasure items in the same way they give and take cannonballs and bananas! Gunpowder Kegs and the Chest of a Thousand Grogs will still need to be dropped to be exchanged.
"These improvements to empty barrel identification and resource level increases are the first of many improvements we have planned for future updates," reads the update.
Additional notes for patch 1.2.5:
- Fixed issue with telescope clipping.
- Caged pigs can now be fed again.
- Bounty Skulls which are washed up on islands can now be picked up.
- The Hunter Jacket and Trousers now display with their correct colours.
- Solo sailor crews can now access Crew Privacy settings.
- Items placed at the bow of the Brigantine can now be picked back up.
- It is no longer possible to be kicked out of the ship's Cannonball Barrel inventory due to the ship's movement on the waves.
- Players hit by the Emote Cursed Cannonball will no longer experience the hit animation when the effect wears off.
- It is no longer possible to scroll through the UI on the Ship Selection Menu.
- Shooting a Blunderbuss underwater will now display the correct VFX.
- Merchant Alliance crates on board a ship which sinks will not float to the surface and cannot be picked up. Issue identified, fix in the works.
- Gold Metal Skeletons cannot be affected by buckets of water. Fix coming in a future update.