Another video game convention, another Resident Evil 7 rumor. Like clockwork.
Resident Evil 7 is going back to its horror roots will be revealed at E3 2016 - rumor
Pardon the snark in line one, but I couldn't help myself. Because it's true, and has been the case since E3 2013. Gotta love that fake logo.
However, today's rumor comes to us from Serkan Toto, a Tokyo-based analyst and CEO of consultancy firm Kantan Game. He's usually on top of things, honestly, and today he said on Twitter that Resident Evil 7 "is in development" and will be going back to its horror roots.
Furthermore, the game would be shown during E3 2016 and former Kojima Productions designer Jordan Amaro has been hired on. Amatro previously worked on both Metal Gear Solid 5 and P.T.
Going back to the series' roots has been on Capcom's development radar for quite some time. Back in 2013 Resident Evil: Revelations producer Masachika Kawata said there was a possibility for a reboot (or revisit) as long as it preserved “what Resident Evil is and what makes it appealing to fans.”
“I think we’ll get a lot of input from the fanbase and the media on what it means for Resident Evil, and what it could mean for the future of the series, once Revelations was released," he said. “Moving forward I can see us focusing even more on the horror aspect and fear in the series, and see us making something scarier than we have already."
Capcom said during its latest financial call to investors Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps will be a “warm up” for a “full-scale offensive” planned for the second half of the fiscal year.
Whether this means a warm-up for Resident Evil 7 or just game releases in general for its financial year ending on March 31, 2017, remains to be seen.
Anyway, just keep your expectations low for an E3 announcement on this one, as getting our hopes up in past years were for naught.