NintendoPad has the low-down on challenges faced when Punch Out!!, which is due for Wii release on May 18.
If you're the type who likes to remain surprised, don't take a peek below the break. It tells you a bit more than just how many boxers you will face off against.
This is what is known so far:
- 13 boxers to beat
- Boxers include: Glass Joe, Von Kaiser, Disco Kid, King Hippo, Bear Hugger, Don Flamenco
- Motion controls or classic control, Balance Board compatible
- Head 2 head multi-player ( Little Mac only)
- Giga Mac in multi-player
- Giga Mac is activated through a “Giga” gauge next to your health bar, dodge and land punches to fill it
- Back story animations provide more information about the fighters
- Occasionally you will be rewarded a special animation with the last blow to your opponent resulting in a flashy finish
- Career Mode
- Exhibition Mode
- Practice Mode
- Tutorial Mode
- 3 challenges per boxer which if executed will reward you with unlockables
- There will be a holographic boxer to practice on that never dies, which is there to learn patterns
- Minor, Major, and World ranking organizations to compete in
- “Alot” of unlockables including characters, ring environments, victory animations and music, among others
- Will engage in training sessions
- In Punch-Out!! when you are about to be knocked out occasionally the final punch will not knock you off your feet and you will be able to make a “come back”. This come back will also get the crowd on your side and is an additional gameplay element that may be small but will come in handy.
- When you complete a circuit Little Mac’s outift will change color, starting with green, then blue, etc.
- Unlike other Punch-Out games you will have the ability to use all 3 stars at once, doing so will unleash the triple star spinning uppercut. Think about it as the equal to the Dragon Punch from Street Fighter
- When you progress through the circuits so will your rings. You will start in a small ring then build up to a stadium as you go
- Practice mode will allow for you to fight blue holograms of the boxers to learn their weaknesses and a good place to test out star earning techniques. In this mode you will wear a training helmet which prevents you from getting hurt
- The challenges will be in Exhibition mode. You will have 3 bonues in each fight ranging in difficulty, here is an example of Von Kaiser’s: Win the fight and land EVERY punch thrown, TKO Von in under a minute, KO Von by throwing only 5 punches.
- Glass Joe’s challenges are as followed: Knock him down 3 times, then let him win by decision,Find the one punch knockout, Win fight without dodging, blocking, or ducking.
- Camera zooms in when your kicking butt
- If you press the minus button inbetween rounds you will regain a portion of your life bar, you can only do this once per fight and you will know when it happens when Doc eats a chocolate bar
- If you lose 100 times you will earn the training helmet which makes you invulnerable
- Tap 1 and 2 buttons to regain health after knocking someone down to the mat
- If you run out of heart meter you will be unable to punch
- Here is the BIGGIE, after you beat the game there is a special mode that you will unlock. Nintendo is hush hush about this secret.