Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is sliding onto Switch April 28
Mario Kart 8, the best Mario Kart, is about to get better.
The big changes in Super Mario Deluxe, it seems, are that Battle Mode no longer sucks (with dedicated arenas instead of re-purposed tracks), there are several new characters (including the Inklings from Splatoon), and all the DLC is included. The trailer doesn't show off any new tracks outside of battle mode, but we would hope for at least a few.
Nintendo is calling this the "definitive version" of Mario Kart 8 and it features a revised battle mode on new and returning battle courses.
It allows for local 4-player multiplayer in 1080p while playing in TV Mode.
- Race your friends in the definitive version of Mario Kart 8, only on Nintendo Switch.
- Race as every character on every track from the Wii U version, including DLC characters and tracks.
- Pop some balloons in the revamped Battle mode, complete with Balloon Battle and Bob-omb Blast.
- Battle on new courses, like Urchin Underpass and Battle Stadium, or returning ones, such as GCN Luigi’s Mansion and SNES Battle Course 1.
- Inkling Girl & Inkling Boy from Splatoon, King Boo, Dry Bones, and Bowser Jr. join the roster.
- Players can choose a new Smart Steering feature which makes driving and staying on the track easy for novice players and kids even at 200cc.
- Three new vehicles have been added, two are even inspired by Splatoon.
- Carry two items at the same time.
- Returning items include Boo, the item stealing ghost, and the Feather, which gives you a high jump in battle mode.
- Play your friends in local wireless multiplayer with up to 8 players.
- Drive through in 1080p HD quality in TV mode.
- Play on the go with handheld mode and play anytime, anywhere.
A release date is set for April 28 in both North America and Europe, according to Nintendo's updated release schedule.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was not formally announced during the presentation, but was shown off briefly, and has been rumoured for some time. The trailer released in the wake of the presentation put a ring on it.