Media Create has issued its sales chart for hardware and software at Japanese retail, and it was another week for solid software debuts, and all consoles except for Ps2 saw an increase in sales over the week prior.
Sony offerings dominate the top ten
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3, Samurai Warriors 3 Z, LittleBigPlanet 2, Samurai Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends, and Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare were the debuts this week, with the former topping the chart by moving 222,068 units and Warriors Z moving 208,548 copies.
Rockstar's western zombie offering sold a combined 28,898 for the week on both PS3 and 360, and LBP2 moved 24,648 copies. Samurai Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends moved 22,598 units.
All told, Sony took up six slots in the top ten, while Nintendo rounded it out with three - two on Wii and one on DS.
Below is the full software chart for the week. The previous week’s figures can be found here.
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 (PSP) - 222,068 (New)
- Samurai Warriors 3 Z (PS3) - 208,548 (New)
- Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP) - 93,483
- Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 (DS) - 30,910
- LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3) - 24,648 (New)
- Samurai Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends (Wii) - 22,598 (New)
- Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (PS3) - 21,718 (New)
- Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) - 15,971
- Kenka Bancho 5: Laws of Manhood (PSP) - 14,372
- White Knight Chronicles Episode Portable: Dogma Wars (PSP) - 11,229
- Pokemon Black / White (DS) - 10,433
- Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butouden (DS) - 10,341
- Wii Party (Wii) - 1,787,341
- The Last Story (Wii) - 9,052
- Macross: Triangle Frontier (PSP) - 8,409
- World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (PSP) - 7,575
- Valkyria Chronicles 3 (PSP) - 7,491
- World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (PS3) - 7,379
- Ni no Kuni: The Ebony Wizard (DS) - 7,267
- Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (Xbox 360) - 7,180 (New)
Software chart offerings per system
- PSP - 7
- DS - 4
- Wii - 4
- PS3 - 4
- Xbox 360 - 1
Sony better enjoy itself while it can
Sony did rather well this week with both PSP and PS3, thanks to some strong software offerings. On February 24, PS3 will see high profile releases such as Disgaea 4, Killzone 3, Rune Factory: Oceans , Bulletstorm, and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (Codemasters the Best), so the console should do well again.
However, the reason we mention all of this, is because Sony needs to celebrate while it can as 3DS launches in Japan on February 26 with a bevvy of launch titles such as: Nintendogs + Cats, Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle, Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition, Samurai Warriors: Chronicles, Ridge Racer 3D, Winning Eleven 3D Socce, Tobidasu! Puzzle Bobble 3D, and Battle of Giants: Dinosaurs Strike.
However, there is a bit of hope for Sony: Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP the Best) will be released on PSP February 24.
The new handheld coming to market is showing itself already on the charts, as sales of the DS line is still slowing dramatically despite the DSiLL's 514 unit increase over last week.
Rockstars's Undead Nightmare, unfortunately couldn't help Xbox 360 best last week's figures, as it moved 164 units less this week. Maybe Bulletstorm's release on February 24 will help it out a bit.
With 3DS's launch looming near, the February 14 - 20 sales figures should prove to be interesting when released next Wednesday.
Japanese hardware, January 3 – February 13, 2011 (combined SKUs, running tally)
- PSP – 272,228
- DS – 210,417
- PS3 – 192,355
- Wii – 141,833
- Xbox 360 – 16,746
- PS2 – 11,512
Japanese hardware, February 7 – February 13, 2011 (combined SKUs):
- PSP – 107,000
- PS3 – 23,846
- DS – 23,111
- Wii – 15,028
- Xbox 360 – 2,118
- PS2 – 107
Japanese hardware, February 7 – February 13, 2011 (separate SKUs):
- PSP – 106,893
- PS3 - 26,766
- Wii – 15,028
- DSi LL -12,069
- DSi – 10,039
- Xbox 360 – 2,118
- PS2 – 1,665
- DS Lite – 1,003
- PSP go - 107