Epic has revealed the latest free game on its store.
This week's free game on the Epic Games Store is Frostpunk, the survival, city-building, strategy game from 11 bit Studios.
Frostpunk is a society survival game where heat is important to survival, and every decision you make "comes at a price."
In this frozen world, people have developed steam-powered technology to help suppress the cold. You face the task of building the last city on Earth and securing the means necessary for your community to survive.
Here are some features:
- The City Must Survive: Optimization and resource management often clash with empathy and thoughtful decision-making. While city and society management will consume most of the ruler’s time, at some point exploration of the outside world is necessary to understand its history and present state. What decisions will you make to ensure the survival of your society? What will you do when pushed to the limit? And who will you become in the process?
- Make the Law: Establish laws that regulate the existence of your growing society. Decide on their working routine, healthcare, food provision, and other crucial aspects of everyday life. Maintain their hope and contentment – the moral condition of your society is as important as securing the basic means to keep them fed and safe.
- Shape Society: If you reach a turning point, do not hesitate to determine the path of your people. Should you rule them with an iron fist... or show them a way of compassion and faith? Reach for extremes or try to find a fair balance. Whichever you choose, remember: there’s no turning back.
- Weigh Choices: Some of your decisions will seem small – like deciding the fate of a troubled citizen or meeting the demands of a newborn faction – but be aware that the sum of your doings can lead to unexpected results. Your people put their faith in you, but their devotion is not limitless. Leadership can be a burden.
- Develop Technologies: Survival demands progress. React to current events, but don’t forget about the long term and investing in development and technological progress. Providing a highly advanced infrastructure with self-powered automatons, airships, and other technical wonders is difficult but achievable. It all depends on your management and leadership skills.
- Explore the Frostland: While New London is your main focus, there is much more to the world than what lies within the limits of your city. Expeditions, while risky, can bring you valuable intel, precious supplies and grow your society’s population. There may be people out there, and their fate lies solely in your hands.
- Play Endlessly: Frostpunk Endless Mode grants you unlimited replayability for the game. Play on 8 various maps, with different terrain, weather conditions, and challenges to face. We know that different people look for different experiences and that’s why there are 3 modes available. Endurance will be the ultimate test of your building, managing, and survival skills in the harshest conditions. Builders, where there is no generator available from the start, creates a different type of challenge. Serenity is focused on enjoying the art of building the city itself, without unnecessary pressure.
Forstpunk is free until June 10 when it will be replaced by the next game, which is currently a mystery.