Evidence supporting the idea that Far Cry 6 could be a Far Cry 3 prequel focusing on Vaas is piling up, to the extent that it now seems like a very likely possibility.
The idea that Far Cry 6 would centre on Vaas' past was originally floated by IGN journalist Joe Skrebels on Twitter - check it out below.
So. Is Diego in Far Cry 6 meant to be a young Vaas from Far Cry 3? pic.twitter.com/4trOhRtEhy— Joe Skrebels (@2plus2isjoe) July 10, 2020
As you can see, Diego Castillo - the 13-year-old secondary antagonist of Far Cry 6 - bears an identical eyebrow scar to Far Cry 3's Vaas Montenegro - although he hasn't quite got Vaas' slightly larger scar on the other side of his face yet.
This comes after Michael Mando, the voice actor for Vaas, recently teased a return to the series.
“Vaas is my spirit animal – having co-created that character is something that will always be dear to me,” Mando said during a Reddit AMA. “I still get recognized as Vaas, and I still feel the outpouring of love for that character – makes me very happy. Who knows… maybe I will reprise the role very soon? :p Thank you for watching xo.”
Meanwhile, a piece published by Forbes notes that it's not unusual for Far Cry games to be tied into one another in minor ways - as a result, delving into the past of one of the series' most popular antagonists doesn't seem to come from left field.
There's also the fact that Giancarlo Esposito is due to play Far Cry 6's Yaran dictator, Anton Castillo. Apparently, it's going to be a "very big role" in comparison to previous Far Cry villains - that being said, Esposito previously worked with Mando on Breaking Bad, playing the characters of Gus Fring and Nacho, respectively.
Here's the official Far Cry 6 trailer, which debuted during last night's Ubisoft Forward. If you were excited by the news and want to dig into some older Far Cry games, the Ubisoft Forward sale features discounts of up to 85% off on iconic franchises such as Assassin's Creed and Far Cry.