Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 has received an update overnight that made several changes and added a few major crash fixes, especially on PC.
If you've been keeping up with Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 news recently, you may remember Treyarch promising to release a big update for the game later this week.
Though this update has yet to materialise, we did get a new patch. The October 16 update's main changes are mianly geared towards the game's online experience, including Blackout. The battle royale mode started out supporting a maximum of 88 players in duos, and 100 in quads.
Now, duos have been boosted to 100 players, but quads are dropping to 88. Treyarch continues to look into stability and network problems in quads, which is likely why the player count was decreased there. It's not clear if this setup will remain in the future, but the developer said it's monitoring feedback and data to ensure the best experience.
As a result, you'll note that the featured playlist has been changed to 100-player duos. On the subject of playlists, TDM playlists now support six-player parties, which they did not before. Of course, if your six-player party attempts to play a five-player mode, you will be notified.
There's also a decent amount of crash fixes, with PC getting most of them. Check below for the full list of patch notes.
- General stability improvements and crash fixes.
- The Featured playlist tiles for Multiplayer and Blackout have changed. This is part of the regular rotation of Featured playlists – more details to come on how Featured playlists will work in Black Ops 4 in a separate update.
- 100-Players Duos is now the Featured playlist for Blackout.
- Quads playlist is now 88 maximum players. We’re continuing to update various game settings to ensure the best experience for all players across all platforms and modes.
- TDM playlist now supports parties of 6 (was previously 5).
- Featured playlist changed to Heist.
- Custom Search and Destroy games will now correctly conclude after one team wins 6 rounds total, fixing an issue where custom games previously ended at round 7.
- Addressed a crash caused by earning multiple Medals in a match.
- Addressed a UI error caused by losing Internet connection in split screen.
- Addressed an issue that caused Hellhounds to exhibit some very... un-doglike behavior.
- “Object View Distance” setting now properly renders objects further on “High” than on “Low” in Blackout.
Stability improvements (PC)
- Fixed a crash occurring during initial boot of the game for some users.
- Fixed a crash when disconnecting from a Blackout match.
- Fixed a crash occurring when multiple windows were broken simultaneously in a Blackout match.
- Fixed a crash when browsing unlockable Items.
- Fixed crashes occurring when changing texture quality.
- Improved handling of “Out of Memory” errors.
Beyond these fixes, Treyarch is currently investigating a few other issues such as sounds in multiplayer not behaving as players expect, Zombies Easter eggs causing the game to crash, teammate player names disappearing in multiplayer, and a very specific rash with the Hellion Salvo weapon on PC.
For more on Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, our big guide has you covered.