The Nintendo Switch has received one of its biggest updates to date.
Firmware update 4.0.0 was released today for the Nintendo Switch, bringing a save transfer feature, and adding video capture for the first time. Unfortunately, as is typically the case with Nintendo, the new features come with big caveats.
Starting off with the transfer feature, it allows players to do a one-time transfer from one Switch console to another. This carries over user profile, save data, and eShop purchases. You can only do this for one user at a time, and once a profile has been moved, it will be automatically deleted from the original console.
Nintendo has a new support page detailing the feature. Although it's a step in the right direction, this transfer feature won't help those whose Switch consoles have been lost or damaged, nor will it be of any use to players looking to back up their saves in the event either of the two situations does occur.
The new video capture feature works the same way screenshot capture works, only you'll have to hold the button instead of press it to capture the last 30 seconds of play, as a maximum. You're also able to share them the same way you would a screenshot, and you can even trim them. This is only supported by a few games right now in Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Arms, Splatoon 2, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
Read on below for the full list of changes:
-Capture video on select games
- To capture video, hold down the Capture Button during gameplay
- Up to a maximum of the previous 30 seconds will be saved in the Album. You can trim the beginning and end of each clip, and post to Facebook and Twitter.
- As of October 18th, 2017, this feature is compatible with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2
-Select from 12 new Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
-Transfer user and save data to another system
- To transfer, head to System Settings > Users > Transfer Your User and Save Data
-Pre-purchase option on Nintendo eShop
- A pre-purchase option will be available for certain games. This option allows pre-load of the game to your system for quicker play when the game is released.
- This feature will be supported by future game releases
-News channel updates
- The news feed has been updated with a new look.
- Unfollowing a channel will remove that channel's content from the news feed and following the channel again will make it reappear.
-Match software version with a group of local users
- To create a group, head to the software's Options > Software Update > Match Version with Local Users
- Everyone's software will be updated to match the most recent version in the group
- All users must be on system menu version 4.0.0 or later to view and join a group
-General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:
- Changed the specification which hid wireless networks using TKIP security from the network search results. Wireless networks using TKIP security will now display in search results as a grayed-out selection instead of not being displayed
- The Nintendo Switch console supports WEP, WPA-PSK(AES), and WPA2-PSK(AES). If your router is using a different security type (e.g. WPA-PSK(TKIP)), you will need to change this security type within your router's settings.