Nintendo is celebrating Animal Crossing: New Horizons' first year with a free update.
The Animal Crossing: New Horizons update will bring 50 additional custom design slots to Normal and Pro Custom Design modes.
You can expect the free update on March 18, in addition, you can also expect the following features:
- 1st Anniversary Cake – Nook Inc. made a 1st Anniversary Cake to commemorate the occasion. It will be sent to your in-game mailbox after the update is installed.
- Sanrio Sweetness – Add some Sanrio sweetness to your island. Starting March 26, the Animal Crossing Sanrio Collaboration Pack will be available for purchase at Target stores across the U.S. at a suggested retail price of $5.99. You’ll be able to use these six vibrantly designed amiibo cards to invite cute and colorful Animal Crossing residents inspired by popular Sanrio characters to your island, including Rita, Chai, and Toby. These amiibo cards let you exchange bells for special Sanrio-themed furniture and fashion items in-game, too. You can even invite these characters to Harv’s Island for a fun photo session in Photopia.
- Custom Design Pro Editor + – The Custom Design app on your NookPhone is getting an upgrade. Use your Nook Miles at the Nook Stop in Resident Services to unlock the feature. It’ll provide a more robust set of features, allowing for the customization of umbrellas, small flags, uchiwa and photo stands. And with a new expansion of 50 slots added to both the Normal Custom Design mode and Pro Custom Design mode, you can truly let your imagination run wild.
- Custom Design Portal – You can now add the Custom Design Portal found in the Able Sisters store directly to your in-game NookPhone app. You’ll be able to use it any time inspiration strikes.
- Seasonal Items – Spring is in the air, and with the changing of the seasons comes a range of new seasonal items. Just in time for April Fool’s Day, a variety of colors of whoopee cushions can be ordered between March 26 and April 1 from the in-game Nook Shopping service. For something a little more elegant, you can prep for the prom season with themed fashion items at the Able Sisters shop from April 1 to April 30. You can also order prom-themed items from Nook Shopping during this period, such as a prom night wall, prom night flooring, and a prom stash. Never miss a chance to dance.
During its first year of availability, players have uploaded over 12 million Custom Designs to the Custom Design Portal.
The one-year anniversary is a fun way to jump back into the game if you've been away for a while, as well as to experience some of the new features such as the Island Tour Creator and Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary-themed items.
You can expect more seasonal events and holidays later in the year.