If you thought Fortnite wasn’t getting a next-gen overhaul in time for the new console launches, guess again.
Fortnite players will be thrilled to hear you’ll be able to play a new and improved version on Day 1 of the new console launches. Cross-play remains available on both the Xbox Series X/S and the PS5, and your cosmetics and progression will be carried over to whatever new platform you’ve purchased.
If you’ve transferred your Xbox profile from your Xbox One/S/X, just download the Xbox Series X/S release of Fortnite and get back into the action.
For PS5 players, download Fortnite from the PlayStation Store and log in with your Epic account. If you played on PS4 previously but don’t have an Epic account, you can log in with your PlayStation Network account.
On top of all this, to celebrate the launch of the new consoles, all Fortnite players will be able to claim the Throwback Axe Pickaxe, which is the classic default Pickaxe from the very first season of Fortnite. It’s free to claim in-game and through the PlayStation Store between November 4 and January 15, 2021.
Regardless of what new console you’ve purchased, you can expect some graphical overhauls, improved loading times and enhanced split-screen, so let’s take a look at the new improvements for each platform.
Fortnite: PS5 improvements
Depending on where you live/ if you get lucky with an early delivery, you’ll be receiving your PS5 on either November 12 or 19. Expected Day 1 improvements for the PS5 include:
- 4K Resolution at 60 FPS.
- Dynamic Visuals and Physics: Experience a more dynamic and interactive world with grass and trees responding to explosions, better-looking smoke and liquid effects and all-new Storm and cloud effects.
- DualSense Controller Immersion: Haptic feedback makes it feel like you’re holding the Suppressed SMG or Bolt-Action Sniper Rifle. In addition to general vibration support, you’ll experience integrated haptic trigger feedback for ranged weapons on the new DualSense controller. You can disable haptic feedback via your PS5 Accessories settings.
- Select Your Favorite Mode from the PS5 Home Screen: Fortnite supports PS5’s Activities, starting with the ability to go straight into the Battle Royale Lobby with either Solo, Duos, or Squads selected. Once in the Lobby, choose to queue up for your favourite game mode and jump into a match right away.
- Get into Matches Faster: Loading performance has been significantly upgraded, not only improving texture loading but also helping you get into a match from game start-up much faster.
- Enhanced Split-screen: On PS5, Split-screen now supports 60 FPS.
Fortnite: Xbox Series X/S improvements
The Xbox Series X and S both launch on November 10 and they’ll receive equal treatment in every area except screen resolution. The Xbox Series S will support most of the visual enhancements available on the Series X, but the main difference is that Fortnite will at 1080P Resolution at 60 FPS on the Xbox Series S.
You can check out the Xbox Series X improvements below:
- 4K Resolution at 60 FPS on Series X.
- Dynamic Visuals and Physics on Series X: The same improvements for the PS5 apply here, with better smoke and water effects and explosion damage to grass and trees, as well as improvements to Storm and cloud effects.
- Get into Matches Faster: Loading performance – including texture loading – has been significantly upgraded and you can jump into your next match faster than ever before.
- Enhanced Split-screen: On Xbox Series X and Series S, Split-screen now supports 60 FPS.
The Fortnitemares event is still going until November 3 and you can check out all of the Fortnitemare Challenges here.
You can find our guide for the Wolverine skin challenges here, as well as how to eliminate Stark Robots at Quinjet Patrol landing sites and all the map changes so far.
Here’s where you can find the Black Panther memorial at Panther’s Prowl and where to ride a motorboat under different coloured steel bridges.