Larian Studios has announced the races, variations, and classes of Baldur’s Gate 3’s Early Access.
When Baldur’s Gate 3 goes into Early Access on October 6, you will be able to select from 16 races and subraces, as well as six classes from day one.
On launch, players will be able to create humans, githyanki, elves, drow, half-elf, dwarves, halflings, and tieflings, including subraces of each.
You will be able to create your own characters and play in either single-player or as a party of up to four in multiplayer, with over 25 hours worth of content designed for multiple playthroughs.
Races such as Drow and Githyanki are a bit rare on the Sword Coast, so you will find NPC reactions will reflect this upon interaction.
Baldur’s Gate 3’s character creation features “photorealistic” races where are based on 3D scans of actors and models, and in Early Access, there will be 150 heads to pick from, across the races and subraces.
Character creation includes hundreds of options to ensure that each character is unique, and the “world reacts to you as though you, and your choices, are unique.”
Here’s the list of Races and Subraces you can choose from in Early Access:
- Human: The most common face to see in Faerûn, humans are known for their tenacity, creativity, and endless capacity for growth. They live fully in the present – making them well suited to the adventuring life – but also plan for the future, striving to leave a lasting legacy.
- Githyanki: Githyanki are peerless warriors from the Astral Plane, known for their legendary silver blades and red dragon mounts. They seek the total destruction of mind flayers, whose ancient empire enslaved the githyanki for millennia.
- High Elf: Heirs of the mystical Feywild, high elves value magic in all its forms, and even those who do not study spellcraft can manipulate the Weave.
- Wood Elf: Wood elves spend their reclusive lives in Faerûn’s forests. Decades of training in archery and camouflage are enhanced by an otherworldly swiftness.
- Drow – Seldarine Drow: Drow are the result of an ancient schism between the elven deities Corellon Larethian and Lolth. The latters’ treachery drove the drow into the Underdark, where they splintered into warring factions. Seldarine drow can be found seeking allies from all over Faerûn, aiming to settle their conflict with Lolth – and each other – by any means necessary.
- Lolth-Sworn Drow: Raised by Lolth’s cult in the city of Menzoberranzan, these drow extol the virtues of their corrupt and merciless goddess. Lolth marks her followers with bright red eyes so the Underdark will learn to fear drow on sight.
- High Half-Elf: A touch of the Feywild remains in half-elves with this bloodline, and even those untrained in magic possess a hint of wild power.
- Wood Half-Elf: Like their wood elf parent, these half-elves have a quickened stride and eye for stealth. Yet many break away from isolation in Faerûn’s forests to explore the rest of the Realms.
- Drow Half-Elf: Most half-drow result from liaisons between Seldarine drow and surfacers. While half-drow inherit a few magical gifts, they aren’t usually raised in the Underdark.
- Dwarf – Gold: Gold dwarves are known for their confidence and keen intuition. The culture of their Deep Kingdom values family, ritual, and fine craftsmanship.
- Dwarf – Shield: Shield dwarves survived a long fall from grace, surrendering many of their ancient kingdoms in wars with goblins and orcs. These losses have lead to a cynical mindset, yet shield dwarves will endure anything to restore their ancestral homelands.
- Lightfoot Halfling: Lightfoot halflings are stealthy but social, travelling all over Faeûn to make names for themselves.
- Strongheart Halfling: Legends say dwarven blood gave stronghearts their hardiness. Resistant to poison and wellsprings of endurance, these halflings easily hold their own.
- Asmodeus Tiefling: Bound to Nessus, the deepest layer of the Hells, these tieflings inherit the ability to wield fire and darkness from the archdevil Asmodeus’ infernal bloodline.
- Mephistopheles Tiefling: Descended from the archdevil Mephistopheles, these tieflings are gifted with a particular affinity for arcane magic.
- Zariel Tiefling: Tieflings from Zariel’s bloodline are empowered with martial strength, and can channel searing flame to punish their enemies.
You will also have six classes to choose from: Cleric, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock, and Wizard – each with at least two subclasses.
Early Access is releasing on Stadia, Steam, and GOG.