Rocket League will go free-to-play next week, and a new update is coming tomorrow to prepare for the launch.
On September 23, Rocket League will go free-to-play, and to celebrate, the developers are also throwing an in-game event, Llama-Rama, soon after launch with more details coming next week.
In preparation for the release and event, an update will be live on all platforms tomorrow to lay the groundwork for the free-to-play change.
Details on what is included with the update are below along with more information on the free-to-play switch.
Rocket League September 16 update
- Cross-platform progression: You’ll be able to link your platforms to your Epic Games Account starting tomorrow for existing players. For all the details on cross-platform progression, check out last month’s blog.
- Legacy Status and Items: For those who already own Rocket League and are eligible for Legacy Status, the items that were revealed in July (Golden Cosmos Boost, “Est. 20XX” Player Banner, Rocket League-branded DLC, etc.) will hit your inventories with tomorrow’s update.
- Support-a-Creator: In addition to joining the Epic Games Store, Rocket League will also be joining Epic’s Support-A-Creator program. You can choose to support a Creator of your choice in-game by entering the Creator’s code in the Item Shop, beginning tomorrow with the game update. For Rocket League, accepted Creators will earn 5% of Credits spent while using their Creator Code. Codes for Creators currently in the program will work in Rocket League starting tomorrow. There are many of your favorite Rocket League creators already part of the system and more will be added in the near future. If you’re interested in becoming a Creator, go to the Epic Support-A-Creator page for more information.
- New Quick Chats
- Heatseeker in Private Matches
- Larger item pool for Trade Ups
- Solo Standard removed
- New Bot difficulty
- New Merc Hitbox
- Rocket League X Monstercat Remixes
- Updated Menu
- Changes to Achievements
On the same day, the game will be removed from sale on Steam and head over to the Epic Games Store as the studio was acquired by Epic Games back in May of last year.
Those who add the game to their EGS library between September 23 and October 23 will receive a $10 EGS coupon that is redeemable on games and add-ons $14.99 and up.
Plus, once you download and launch the game, you’ll instantly get two new items in your inventory: Sun Ray Boost and Hot Rocks Trail.
Alongside the free-to-play update comes the following:
- Season One: Take your shot at climbing the Ranks, and tiering up your Rocket Pass in Season 1. Stay tuned for more info on Season 1 later this week!
- Competitive Tournaments: Competitive Tournaments will be live and ready to join on launch day. Check out our deep dive blog post on this revamped tournament feature for all the details.
- Game-wide Changes: New Game-Wide Challenges arrive on launch day. Get ready to complete challenges for XP and items.
- Endo Starter Pack and Jager Pack: Two new item packs will be available with items for new and veteran players. Here’s what’s in each:
- Endo Starter Pack
- Gaiden Wheels (Grey)
- Neo-Thermal Boost
- Friction Trail
- 500 Credits
- Jager Pack
- Jager 619 (Titanium White)
- Apparatus Wheels (Titanium White)
- Toon Goal Explosion (Titanium White)
- 1000 Credits
Both packs will be available in the Bundles tab of the Item Shop.