Nintendo denies reports of new Switch model coming this year

By Sherif Saed, Friday, 31 January 2020 14:36 GMT

Nintendo says it’s not releasing a new Switch model in 2020.

During Nintendo’s recent earnings call, where the company announced 52.48 million lifetime sales for Switch, it also touched on the running rumour that it’s working on yet another Switch model.

Nintendo president, Shuntaro Furukawa, categorically denied that a new Switch model is coming this year. “Please note that we have no plans to launch a new Nintendo Switch model during 2020,” Furukawa told investors, as reported by Gamesindustry.

Furukawa also said that Nintendo will continue to work on communicating the different styles intended with each of the Switch’s available modes: base and Lite.

“Regarding Nintendo Switch, we believe that it is important to continue to communicate the appeal of both Nintendo Switch systems and expand the installed base. We feel that we have not yet fully communicated the special features and appeal of Nintendo Switch Lite, so we will continue to address this going forward.”

Most recently, a Taiwanese blog said production would begin soon on an upgraded Switch model, which would be enough lead-up for it to be released in mid to late-2020.

This isn’t the first time a so called Switch Pro had been rumoured, of course, the upgraded model was initially reported to be launching alongside Switch Lite in 2019, but that obviously didn’t pan out.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.

Comments