FromSoftware is rolling out a patch for Sekiro that aims to get players to mix up and diversify their play style, and nerfs an early boss.
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice update 1.03 is going live in the wee hours of April 23 for those of us in the BST/ CEST timezone, and later today for those of you stuck in the past.
Two notable changes are the nerfing of the Blazing Bull boss, and tweaks to the Spirit Emblem cost for certain Prosthetic Tools and Combat Arts to “encourage usage and diversity of approach,” according to the patch notes.
The notes don’t specify if the cost will be reduced, but given the purpose of the adjustments, it’s likely that players will find themselves with more of an opportunity to use and experiment with the arsenal FromSoftware has given them.
Meanwhile, the Blazing Bull has been a pain in the arse for everyone, so the ‘slight’ reduction of its posture and vitality to “improve game pacing and balance time in combat,” should be a boon for new players, or those that haven’t gotten that far yet.
We’ve got a comprehensive Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice boss guide, so hop over there for tips if you find yourself getting stuck on this boss or any of the others.
The full patch notes are below. The update will roll out on PC, PS4, and Xbox One on April 22 at 6pm PT/ 9pm ET, and April 23 at 2am BST/ 3am CEST.
Improvements to Strategic Approaches
- Adjusted the efficiency and Spirit Emblem cost of the following to encourage usage and diversity of approach:
- Prosthetic Tools: ‘Lazulite Sacred Flame,’ ‘Loaded Axe’ series, ‘Sparking Axe,’ ‘Lazulite Axe’
- Combat Arts: ‘Ashina Cross,’ ‘Dragon Flash,’ ‘One Mind,’ ‘Floating Passage,’ ‘Spiral Cloud Passage,’ ‘Mortal Draw,’ ‘Empowered Mortal Draw’
- Items: ‘Spiritfall’ series
- Reduced the Posture damage dealt by the first hit of the Combat Arts ‘Senpou Leaping Kicks’ and ‘High Monk’ as it was causing more damage than intended in certain cases. Posture damage dealt in the latter-half of the combo has been increased.
- Increased the Poison build-up dealt by the Prosthetic Tool “Sabimaru” against enemies that were intended to be weak against it.
- Increased the drop rate of ‘Divine Confetti’ for Fencers in Ashina Castle.
- Adjusted loading screen tips and tutorial text, as well as adding new text.
- Slightly reduced Posture and Vitality of Blazing Bull in order to improve game pacing and balance time in combat.
- Lowered the price of information sold by Anayama the Peddler.
- The Chained Ogre inside Ashina Castle is now Red Eyed.
- Fixed a bug where “Gokan’s Sugar” and “Gokan’s Spiritfall” were not mitigating player Posture damage taken while guarding or deflecting enemy attacks.
- Fixed a bug where system crashes could cause save data to become corrupted on PC.
- Fixed a bug where certain enemies would sometimes stop attacking the player.
- Fixed a bug where certain actions could not be performed after reconfiguring the controls.
- Fixed certain bugs that were allowing the player to access unexpected areas, which could result in becoming unable to obtain items or make further progress.
- Fixed cases of certain text being displayed incorrectly.
- Improved stability.
- Improved performance.
- Other various bug fixes.