Apex Legends developer Respawn is planning to address hitbox issues, and the overall hero balance with the start of Season 1.
Though Respawn didn’t specify a start date for Apex Legends’ first season, the developer revealed some highlight changes it’ll be bringing to character balance.
First, the contentious hitbox inconsistencies players brought to the developer’s attention a while back are being addressed. Respawn will adjust the size of hitboxes for Pathfinder, Caustic, and Gibraltar.
The goal is to have each hero’s hitbox better fit the character model, which is tricky for both smaller, and bigger characters. Generally speaking, based on player data so far, large characters are under-powered, according to Respawn.
The developer believes this has a lot to do with their size, which makes them a bigger target. One way to counter that is to make large characters more powerful, either by allowing them to absorb more damage, or buffing their kit power. These sort of changes, however, won’t be here anytime soon, and may not even make it into the game at all if hitbox adjustments prove sufficient.
What is going to be in Apex Legends at the start of season one, however, has been confirmed.
Hero hitbox reductions
Caustic, Pathfinder and Gibraltar
- We’re better sizing hitboxes to character gear and model.
- Since these adjustments have a MAJOR impact on the game, we want to make sure there aren’t any major bugs, so we didn’t want to rush them out.
- If these adjustments prove to be insufficient, we’ll consider additional adjustments during Season 1.
Hero balance changes
- Traps – Reduced cooldown to 25 seconds from 30 seconds.
- Traps – Increased radius and proximity radius by about 10%.
- Traps – Removed a 1 second delay on the smoke dealing damage to players.
- Insider Knowledge – Increased the number of beacons in the world to 12 from 10.
- Care Package – Removed slight chance that level 4 armour and helmets will drop.
- Into The Void – Cooldown increased from 20 -> 25 seconds.
- Double Time – Reduced move speed bonus to 30% from 40%.
The first season is rumoured to start next week with the launch of the first battle pass. This is likely when these hero changes will make it into the game.
For the weapon balance changes that went live earlier today, see the link.