A new loot box feature is coming to Fortnite: Save the World – X-Ray Llamas.
Epic Games will introduce a new loot box feature to Fortnite: Save the World with the v7.30 update. This new feature will allow you to see what’s inside before hitting the purchase button.
Formally known as V-Buck Llamas, these will known as X-Ray Llamas after the update drops.
X-Ray Llamas will now show you the entire contents of the crate. Should you not be interested in what the Llama has to offer, just hold off until the daily store refresh.
A breakdown of how the new feature works was posted by Epic. We’ve popped it in below.
How X-Ray Llamas work
- Llamas prices remain the same, and llamas can still be earned through gameplay.
- The price doesn’t change when the llama upgrades – you can see the upgrade before you purchase, and any item can come from the cheapest Llama. You can wait and find your favorite weapon in a 50 V-Buck llama, with no guessing.
- The items offered are based on your account in order to apply dupe prevention.
- Dupe Prevention: Introduced in the v5.10 Patch, after the Llama has determined the item rarity and type of drop (Epic or Legendary Hero, Weapon, or Schematic) it will select an item from that category that is not already in your inventory or Collection Book. This applies to Epic, Legendary and Mythic Heroes, Epic and Legendary Schematics and Mythic Lead Survivors.
- Example: This means that if the Llama picks Legendary (rarity) Shotgun (type), for example, it will give you a Legendary Shotgun you do not already have. If you have all of the legendary Shotguns, it will give you a duplicate Shotgun. It will not pick from another category.
- Specific items can still be directly purchased with earnable in-game resources.
- All the fun of opening Llamas, and only the items you want.
When the feature launches, you will no longer be able to purchase multiple V-Buck Llamas at once. Epic said it is making this change in order to show you Llama rewards one at a time.
One thing to note is that mini Llamas and event Llamas are not X-Ray Llamas. Keeping these as normal will allows you to still bulk open the Llamas with resources earned through gameplay.
Once the update is live, Epic hand out five free Llama Upgrade Tokens to all existing Save the World players. This will allow you to try out the new system, and again, if you don’t like what you see, the X-Ray Llamas will refresh daily.
We’ll let you know more about the next update once more information is available.
In the meantime, if you play Fortnite Battle Royale, here’s this week’s challenges, and check out how to destroy Ice Fiends and damage Ice Legion right here.