The lovely indie game Battle Princess Madelyn has a release date and really nice gameplay trailer accompanying the announcement.
Imagine having your family kidnapped by some evil wizard who also kills your dog when confronted. You’d want to save your family and avenge your dog, right? That’s exactly what you’ll do in Battle Princess Madelyn.
Battle Princess Madelyn is a side-scrolling game full of magical worlds and boss battles starring Madelyn and her ghost dog, Fritzy. Madelyn is a young knight in training, and she’s on a quest to save her kingdom and family from an evil wizard.
Her faithful companion is right there with her in spirit form as both a weapon and a helpful puzzle solver.
In the trailer below, you’ll get a look at the intro sequence, enemies, Fritzy, and various levels featuring Castles, graveyards, swamps, and more. It has a nostalgic Ghouls ‘N Ghosts vibe, and looks rather fun, honestly.
Here’s a list of game features:
- Fast paced classic arcade action and adventure elements of classic console games from the golden age of console gaming.
- Amazingly detailed hand drawn pixel art brought to life by the magical lighting of the Unity Engine.
- Collectibles hidden throughout the stages for extra rewards, and additional hidden stages.
- 10 levels, each of which include up to 5 stages – including 1 or 2 branching hidden stages.
- Fully re-playable stages at any point – if you’ve unlocked it, you can play it as much as you want.
- Combo meters for destroying and juggling enemies.
- 10 types of weapons which change with the 3 sets of armor found in game.
- Ghostly dog companion: Fritzy, gains powers as you progress through the game allowing you to unlock puzzles and otherwise inaccessible areas of stages.
- Special weapons for special occasions. If an area calls for a unique ability, search the area for the needed item.
- Original story written by a professional children’s author.
- An Arcade Soundtrack by Gryzor87 of Maldita Castila fame.
Developed by Causal Bit Games, the studio is headed up by developer Christopher Obritsch. His young daughter, Madelyn Obritsch, was the honorary assistant creative director on the game. Well done, little one.
Battle Princess Madelyn was a Kickstarter success and will be made available December 6 on PC, PS4, Switch, and Xbox One.
Wii U and Vita versions are slated for release in early 2019.