Spec Ops: The Line developer Yager has announced its new title The Cycle.
The Cycle is a match-based FPS set in a science-fiction universe which will release first on PC.
In the game players will be tasked with fulfilling contracts during a 20-minute match. Staying on the planet for a longer period of time is “bad for your health,” apparently.
Yager describes the game as a PvPvE shooter featuring a “strong focus on emergent social dynamics.” There will be 20 players per match, and lots of alien monsters.
“These social dynamics add a special twist to the game,” explained the studio’s managing director Timo Ullmann.
“Players strive to achieve objectives while making and breaking temporary alliances. Anyone can attack anyone, and anyone can ally with anyone. Players can be cooperative and competitive at the same time. So, if you meet new players on your way, anything can happen.”
Here’s the storyline:
The galaxy in the game is controlled by Factions, while the outer reaches remain unclaimed. In their race to control these frontier resources, the Factions need contractors to do their dirty work. Each player is one of these contractors. They will compete for objectives such as collecting minerals or hunting wildlife while being careful to avoid or take down the competition.
A closed Alpha for The Cycle will start in early August on Steam. Interested parties can sign up through the official website.
The Cycle will initially be released on PC toward the end of 2018, but Yager plans to bring it to consoles at a later date.
The Cycle – Game Features
- A new Frontier: Explore the world of Fortuna III – a hostile, beautiful new world, full of fortune, alien life, and other players looking to take its riches.
- Storm: The cycle leaves only a narrow window of opportunity – stay too long, and you will be trapped on the planet.
- Pacting: Players can meet on the surface of Fortuna III and join uneasy alliances with one another as they complete contracts.
- Black Market: Players have a wide arsenal of weapons and gear available to them, all with different playstyles, that can be purchased during a match.
- Crafting: Players can spend their precious credits on creating new gear to take into the next match.
- Quests: Shooting may give you an edge – but the best prospectors are those who can take on dangerous jobs for factions during a match.
- Customization: A wide selection of gear that players progress through, tailoring their character to their individual playstyle, with more options regularly added.