Do you want to work on video game websites for a living? Of course you do.
Gamer Network, the company that owns VG247, Eurogamer, Rock Paper Shotgun, and a bunch of other groovy websites, is looking to recruit backend web developers.
The big plan is to unify all of the websites onto a single common platform, you see. And for that, Gamer Network needs more talented staff to join its already pretty-amazing-actually tech squad.
Here’s all the details you need to know:
Gamer Network is searching for Backend Web Developers of all experience levels to join our experienced in-house Platform team.
The Platform team is in the middle of an ambitious project to unify Gamer Network’s award winning family of games sites on to a single common platform, utilising cutting edge technologies to equip the company with a strong foundation for the future. This is the opportunity for the right candidate to be instrumental in shaping that platform.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, approachable and encourage others to meet or exceed their own high standards. They will be keen to investigate, evaluate and build using new technologies quickly.
- Write correct, maintainable code that solves business problems.
- Build scalable web services/applications within our platform and deliver them to the business on schedule.
- Collaborate with peer developers to build technical specifications for platform projects.
- Work with the team to discuss and critique engineering decisions together; participating in activities like pair programming and code review.
- Ensure the continued correctness and performance of code through automated testing.
We expect candidates to show a strong grasp of the following:
- Fluency in a common web backend language. e.g. Python, Node.js, PHP, etc
- Capability of learning and building with new technologies quickly.
- Knowledge of SQL.
The ideal candidate will have some experience in, or enthusiasm for learning the following:
- Experience in building applications with web application frameworks.
- Building and consuming web services.
- Cache design, knowing when to use it at the object level, query level and web level.
- Working with service-oriented architectures and messaging/queueing technologies.
- Linux server administration and ops.
- Automated unit and acceptance testing.
We are looking for a candidate that is able to quickly get up to speed with any web technology, but you’ll have an advantage with experience of the following:
- Python, specifically django (and some PHP for legacy projects)
- Evented programming (Python asyncio or node.js)
- React JS
- Work on a network of games sites that serve billions of pageviews per year.
- A relaxed office environment well located near the North Laine area of Brighton and a short walk to the beach.
- Passionate colleagues — across games editorial, events and sales. A fantastic social culture with frequent activities outside of work hours.
- Flexible working.
- The opportunity to attend company-wide retreats to help run our world-class EGX games events in London and Birmingham.