DayZ will be coming to Xbox Game Preview “at some point this year” and to PS4 “eventually” according to the DayZ development team on Twitter.
Yes! Coming to Xbox Game Preview at some point this year, we’re not sure about PS4 yet, but we’ll release there too, eventually – just don’t know when yet.
— DayZ Development (@dayzdevteam) February 5, 2018
DayZ has been in Early Access alpha since 2013, and will hit Xbox Game Preview once it launches in beta. The team are currently working on update 0.63 which introduces a number of core features to the game. The significant update was slated to come out last year, but has been pushed because things like vaulting, swimming and vehicles weren’t ready for an experimental release.
Since it started life as an Arma 2 mode, much of DayZ’s protracted development has focused on redeveloping the game’s engine to more closely suit its needs, removing unnecessary bloat and features and replacing them with new ones.
Lead producer Eugen Harton provided a list of new things coming with the 0.63 update in his November DayZ status report.
The full list is as follows:
- New crafting
- New central economy
- New zombies
- New animals
- Completely revamped ranged combat with much more manual control
- Completely revamped melee combat with combos and evading mechanics
- New and quite significant map changes
- Diseases that “mix things up”
- Injuries that change your movement
- New movement and stealth
- Redefined spawns
- New damage system and hitzones for both players and animals
- New visuals for particles or blood
- New animation system that makes everything “so frickin smooth”
- Remade buildings
- More players per server
- More zombies per server
- Fewer network issues
- Stability fixes