EA hasn’t decided when Star Wars Battlefront 3 will be released, Respawn’s Star Wars game coming by March 2020

By Sherif Saed, Wednesday, 31 January 2018 08:59 GMT

EA has shared a few updates about some of its projects during last night’s Q3 2018 earnings report.

During a call to investors, EA confirmed that Anthem has been pushed to 2019, and that a new Battlefield game is coming this October.

EA also confirmed that the Star Wars action game from Titanfall developer Respawn Entertainment is shooting for a fiscal year 2020 launch, meaning it’ll be released between April 2019, and March 2020.

Little is known about Respawn’s Star Wars title, as it was only ever mentioned in a supercut trailer of all of EA’s in-development Star Wars game. We do know it’s being lead by veteran Sony Santa Monica director Stig Asmussen.

In November last year, EA acquired Respawn Entertainment, and the Star Wars game was reconfirmed to be in-development.

Interestingly, CFO Blake Jorgensen revealed during the call that the publisher is not yet sure when Battlefront 3 will be released. For a while now, EA followed a two-year development/release schedule, with Battlefield and Battlefront alternating. Theoretically, this would put Battlefront 3 up for release sometime in 2019.

star_wars_battlefront_2_story_capture

“We have not, obviously, announced product for our fiscal 2020 yet but remember that we have a Star Wars action game that the Respawn team has been working on for the last couple of years,” said Jorgensen. “And most likely that would drop in fiscal 2020 versus another Battlefront.

“We haven’t decided exactly timing for another Battlefront yet but clearly the next big Star Wars game would be the action game in fiscal 2020.”

It’s not clear if it means this release cadence has changed, or if the uncertainty is a result of the backlash the Battlefront brand sustained in the last few months.

EA has already confirmed that thanks to the game’s problems with lootboxes and microtransactions, Battlefront 2 ended up selling less than the original, and definitely below expectations.

As it stands, EA has not said what its next Star Wars game is going to be. Now that Visceral’s project is cancelled, it could be Respawn’s project and not a new Battlefront. We’ll have to wait and see.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.

Comments