Fallout 4: Nuka-World is really into scavenger hunts for some reason. Let’s track down the Hidden Cappy signs and resolve Cappy in a Haystack.
Fallout 4: Nuka-World – Hidden Cappy locations
The Fallout 4: Nuka World map includes a number of Hidden Cappy signs which can be collected to complete a sidequest called Cappy in a Haystack.
You might find a Hidden Cappy by chance but they don’t become active till you have the correct quest. To collect the Cappy in a Haystack quest, speak to Sierra in Nuka-Town USA; you’ll need to have played through the opening missions of Fallout 4: Nuka-World in order to access this area. Sierra can be found outside the Fizztop Mountain compound; if you’re on your way to Fizztop Grill from the Cola Cars Arcade, you’ll walk right by her having a conversation with a raider.
Speak with Sierra and agree to help her to receive the Cappy in a Haystack quest. She’ll also give you a set of special goggles, which you’ll need to equip when you find a Hidden Cappy in order to interact with it and record the clue. It ends up as one of the most interesting sidequests in the expansion, so it’s worth the effort.
The waypoints for Hidden Cappy signs vanish when you get within about 50m, so you’re supposed to find them by working out the clues on a holotape Sierra provides. It’s kind of a pain though, so every Hidden Cappy is listed below in order of probable discovery if you’re wandering through the main quest of Fallout 4: Nuka World.
By the way, we have a huge Fallout 4 guide you can check out if you’re struggling with any other part of the game. If you have questions, we have answers.
Nuka-Town USA Hidden Cappy locations
- There’s a fountain in the partially-flooded plaza near Fizztop Grill. Stand by it and scan the buildings along the curved wall for one with a couple of red pointed roofs. To the left of this structure is an empty lot, and the Hidden Cappy is on the back wall.
Galactic Zone Hidden Cappy locations
- Standing outside the bottom floor of Starport Nuka facing in through the entrance, walk clockwise (left) around the tower, hugging the wall until you reach the mesh gate marking the border of the public area. The Hidden Cappy is on the low wall to your left just before you pass through this gate.
- The second Hidden Cappy in the Galactic Zone is right by the Spacewalk – that long corkscrew ramp thing between Starport Nuka’s middle level and the RabCo Battlezone. Look for it just outside the upper end, in an alcove that’s to your right as you exit after travelling up the ramp.
Kiddy Kingdom Hidden Cappy locations
- There’s a Hidden Cappy in the spinning turntable room in the Funhouse in Kiddie Kingdom. It’s difficult to keep yourself oriented in this room, and there are some nasty surprises behind some of the doors, which makes exploration a bit of a trial. You want a red door three to the left from the path leading directly to the Funhouse exit and control room; the sign is on the back wall of the little room behind the door.
- Travel to King Cola’s Court (the theatre) and leave the castle compound by the bridge. Keep an eye out on the right as you advance and you should spot a tall, tower-like building with a red base and a ruined top. Climb the internal staircase all the way to the top and find the Hidden Cappy on the north wall.
Dry Rock Gulch Hidden Cappy locations
- Travel south from Doc Phosphate’s saloon and you’ll soon spot a small cemetery on your right. Walk right to the back and turn around to spot a Hidden Cappy on the back of a tombstone.
- Enter Mad Mulligan’s Mine (you obtain the key during the main storyline) and walk along the linear path. The Hidden Cappy is easy to spot on the wall of a small building in the first larger room you come to.
Safari Zone Hidden Cappy locations
- Find the hedge maze around the Treehouse. From the entrance, simply hug the right wall and you’ll eventually come to a Hidden Cappy.
- The second Safari Zone Hidden Cappy is outside the Primate House, which you’ll visit during the main story quest in this area if you can’t find it alone. The Hidden Cappy is behind the gorilla statue to the right as you face the entrance.
Nuka-Cola Bottling Plant
- Enter the World of Refreshment through the water ride’s tunnel. Follow the river to the Nuka-Wild area and turn back around after you pass the second building on the left; the Hidden Cappy is on its wall (which will now be on our right, if that needs spelling out).
Cappy in a Haystack rewards and ending – the Nuka-World Jumpsuit
Return to Sierra after collecting all the Hidden Cappy signs in Fallout 4: Nuka-World to continue the Cappy in a Haystack quest. After speaking to her, you’ll get a new waypoint for Bradberton’s Office. Interact with the keypad (after so many years nobody every guessed “refreshment”? Really?) to gain access. Travel to the top floor and locate a hidden switch to thr right of a Nuka-Cola vending machine, opening an elevator down to your real goal.
At the end of the Cappy in a Haystack quest you can choose one of the following options:
- Follow Sierra’s wishes, receiving the unique Nuka-World Jumpsuit as a reward.
- Side with Bradberton, unlocking a unique Mini-Nuke Launcher and schematics to craft its ammo.
It’s also possible to go along with Sierra and then switch off the generator after the Cappy in a Haystack quest concludes, which allows you to access the other reward set, but Sierra will attack you. Fortunately, putting her down has no consequences.