Nintendo may be eyeing an eSports turn for ARMS, based on this new stage addition.
Nintendo continues to support its surprisingly fun new Switch-exclusive fighting game ARMS with post-launch updates – and while this latest update (version 3.1.0) is all about character balance, there is a significant new addition in the form of a new stage – the ‘Sparring Ring’.
The Sparring Ring seems like it might be particularly friendly for eSports, since it’s a minimal stage without the obstacles or dangers that can damage players in other ARMS levels. This level is simple, pure – it’s all about that one-on-one fighting that ARMS is pretty damn good at presenting. It previously was used as the stage for the Warm Up minigame.
ARMS has a young eSports competitive community that’s at the grassroots level. It’s been showing up at a few tournaments and Nintendo has been having competitions with it at events like EGX and the Nintendo World Championships – and it’ll even make an appearance at EVO Japan in January. This simple stage is sure to become a favourite in such events.
Here are the other patch notes for ARMS version 3.1.0, via Nintendo themselves:
- The versus stage Sparring Ring can now be selected.
- It’s a square stage without gimmicks, used in the Warm-Up minigame.
- Enjoy some serious bouts while enjoying the soundtrack of the ARMS Official Song (Electro-dance Ver.).
- Sparring Ring will also appear as a stage in Ranked Match.
- Fixed an issue in Hedlok Scramble where sometimes Guardian and Clapback ARMS would fail to expand.
- Fixed issue where the rewards for 1-on-100 would change if played while searching for a Ranked Match.
Plus the following character and arms balance changes:
- Ninjara: After getting some advice from a Ninja College alum, distance traveled when performing a mid-air mist warp has increased. Mid-air mist warp” refers to the ninja technique performed by dashing after jumping.
- Sparky: Increased retraction speed.
- Megawatt: Increased extension speed.
- Slamamander: Increased extension speed. / Decreased retraction speed.
- Biffler: Increased retraction speed.
- Blorb: Increased retraction speed. / Adjusted how damage multipliers for Rush attacks function.Total damage when connecting with all hits is unchanged.
- Funchuk: Increased the time span from exceeding a target until retraction. / Adjusted how damage multipliers for Rush attacks function. Total damage when connecting with all hits is unchanged. / Fixed issue during online play when Rush damage would increase under certain conditions. / Fixed an issue where at times an opponent’s throw could be deflected with a successfully completing throw attack.
- Clapback: Decreased Rush attack damage.
- Chilla: Decreased curving.
- Phoenix, Thunderbird: Decreased homing.
- Nade, Tribolt, Chakram: Decreased speed of charge attacks.
The update is rolling out to Switch players now.