Take this with a huge grain of salt, but there’s just enough evidence here to suggest that Mario’s Switch adventure may be an odyssey.
Update: Well, that all turned out to be true.
Original article: The Switch reveal trailer showed off a few seconds of a new 3D Mario game, and there has been speculation that the Switch will deliver it at launch. The last major Nintendo home console to launch with a 3D Mario game was the Nintendo 64, but fans continue to hold out hope that it’ll happen again with the Switch.
Earlier today, Shacknews reported on a supposed leak from 4Chan in which someone claiming to be involved in set-up for the European Switch launch event released a list of games that will be available at the event.
We’re inclined to call bullshit on it, because there’s no real evidence and some of the items on there sound pretty far-fetched, but we think that their bullshit might be, if nothing else, inspired by a grain of truth.
Indie developer Dan Teasdale brought to everyone’s attention, via Twitter, that domains that match two of these names were, in fact, recently registered by a company that Nintendo uses to mask their domain purchases:
As much as that 4chan leak looks like the fakest garbage, the domains are registered by Nintendo's domain holding company/fits their timing. pic.twitter.com/aBkNTuxKPH
— Dan Teasdale (@deliciousbees) January 12, 2017
CSC Corporate Domains, which was used to register the very-real nintendoswitch.com, was also used to register two domains that match titles on this list: supermarioodyssey.com and snipperclips.com. Both addresses were registered yesterday, January 12. The domains are for Super Mario Odyssey and Snipperclips, both of which appear on the ‘leaked’ list.
What this means is that if the original 4chan post is bullshit, it might, at least, be bullshit that has been based on fact (it may be that the poster is aware of these domains and made the rest up).
With all that in mind, here are the other titles 4chan poster ‘Ghost’ claims to have seen, in their own words:
- Has Been Heroes – Indie viking style action game. Being developed by Frozenbyte (Shadwen, Nine Parchments).
- Fast RMX – Fast Racing NEO redone on Switch with new content.
- Snipperclips – Small title that uses the two joycons for two players. That’s all I know.
- Splatoon 2 – It’s a sequel, not just a port.
- Super Bomberman R – Surprise!
- Arms – Fantasy fighting game. All characters are themed and have long arms with different powers/effects. Art style very reminiscent of The Wonderful 101, may be developed by Platinum Games.
- Disgaea 5 Complete – Original game with all DLC
- Ultra Street Fighter 2: The Final Challengers – Port with new content.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Port with new content.
- Super Mario Odyssey – New 3D Mario title. Logo has a plane in it, implying a new flight mechanic.
- Zelda BoTW
- Just Dance 2017
- Skylanders Imaginators
- 1 2 Switch – The Switch’s minigame compilation, showcasing the tech. Games include (don’t know exact names) Samurai Training, Wild West Shootout, Crack the safe, milk, ball catch and copy the beat.
Again, huge grain of salt (Ultra Street Fighter 2 doesn’t fit, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would be a break from naming convention, as Nintendo tends to use ‘DX’ instead, and it’s missing games that we know are coming, like Seasons of Heaven), but those domain registrations, at the very least, have us curious.
In any case, we’ll know for sure when the Nintendo Switch presentation kicks off.
Check back in at 6:30am PT/9:30am ET/2:30pm UK for the full presentation, where we’ll find out whether or not any of this was true.