DOOM’s fifth free update brings a whole new way to play, provides some artificial friends and makes some much requested changes.
DOOM has been patched with another hefty slab of free content and fixes, most of which are multiplayer related.
One of the key features is Infernal Run, a new DOOM game mode in which teams battle to score with a ball.
If you’re jonesing for the good old days of playing DOOM against AI, you should also check out the new multiplayer bots on original maps in Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch modes.
The patch also increases DOOM’s maximum multiplayer level cap to Echelon 11 and level 50 and awards the Praetor Suit for hitting the new cap.
The last major change to multiplayer is that id has resolved an issue where “rapid controller input” resulted in unusually high shotgun damage. No more of that, thank you, DOOM players.
Apart from that the patch notes, which you can check out below, are all about SnapMap – but there’s one potential change to DOOM not listed there. According to NeoGAF users, the patch removes Denuvo DRM.
Like most DRM solutions beyond Steam, Denuvo isn’t very popular with PC players. It’s pretty difficult to crack, but recently there’s been a bit of a trend for taking it out of PC games once they’ve been in the wild a few months – generally before pirates figure out how to circumvent it, but after the key early sales period.
Anyway, here are the patch notes for the latest free DOOM update:
- Added new game mode, Infernal Run
Teams fight to obtain the ball and score in the opponent’s goal
- Added Bots for multiplayer
Bots are available on original multiplayer maps in Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch game modes
- Increased the maximum level cap to Echelon 11, level 50
Added the DOOM Marine Armor (Praetor Suit) as unlockable perk for achieving maximum multiplayer level cap
- Resolved an issue where rapid controller input caused unusually high shotgun damage.
- You can now play as the DOOM Marine in Praetor Suit Armor
- Added over 30 Lazarus Lab–themed modules
- Added Lazarus Lab–themed props
- Improved Object Limits
- Persistent Integer variables that can be passed between missions within a campaign
- Save and restore your health/armor/ammo/weapons/equipment/max weapon slots/inventory
- Added the ability to Get and Set Score
- You can now access the Leaderboard Score in the HUD
- Added new (first-person view) Player Camera Entity
- Added camera rumble FX and sounds
- Added new player modifiers
- Ledge grab time, power-up time, barrel damage, equipment cool down
- Plasma weapon mastery
- Additional single-player Interactables
- New single-player styled Objective HUD
- Added single-player Compass
- General single-player consistency pass on HUD
- Added more POI options
- Show distance, show on compass
- Updated victory and post-match summary screens
- More interactable and customizable GUI
- Added animated Echo Events
- Added new FX/hazards
- Added % encounter complete listener to encounters
- Ability to remove AI from finished encounters and events
- Ability to remove unspawned AI from the AIC
- Added ability to turn off bobbing on pickups to place them however you want
- Editor improvement to hide/show types of objects
- Editor improvement to lock rotation when moving objects
- Editor improvement to disable snapping of objects to the floor
- Added armor Customizations and Taunts