Finally, after having been promised since before the game launched, Black Ops 3 mod tools are now available to the public.
After some closed alpha testing, the tools have now entered open beta, ready for anyone with a copy of the full game to try them out. Treyarch detailed how this is going to work in a post on Steam.
Mod tools will be available under Library > Tools on Steam to owners of the game. Once you have downloaded these and updated your game to version 15.1, you’ll have access to:
- Black Ops 3 Steam Workshop
- Unranked Server Browser
- Radiant Level Editor
- APE, Asset Property Editor
- Mod Tools Launcher
- Optional additional assets installation under Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 — Mod Tools’ DLC section. Includes more level building assets from a variety of official Black Ops 3 maps
- Full example maps of the Mulitplayer map Combine and the Zombies map The Giant
- New Server Settings Menu in Multiplayer Custom Games and Zombies Private Game where you can set how your server will display in the Unranked Server Browser
- New Mods Menu where you can load and unload your subscribed mods
You don’t need to download mod tools to have access to Steam Workshop content, or to the unranked server browser.
There’s currently no date for when mod tools will officially release, but we’re pretty close.