Shady Trees is one of the more pleasant zones in The Witness.
The Witness: Shady Trees laser and puzzle solutions
Shady Trees is sandwiched between Quarry and Keep. It’s a nice area with not-so frustrating puzzles; some of them are a bit fiddly, but they’re not going to make you lie down and cry, unlike certain other areas we might mention.
There are two major puzzle variations, and then some complicating factors. In the section below we’ll drop some hints for figuring out what’s going on and getting past difficulty spikes.
The laser is behind a double gate in the autumnal area, closer to Town than the puzzles. The gate opens when you complete both sections of Shady Trees, and once inside you’ll have to solve a puzzle to fire the laser. Here’s the solution.
At the bottom of the page you’ll find galleries of the puzzle solutions.
Hints for solving Shady Trees
- Remember that The Witness likes to leverage the environment in puzzle solving.
- Try getting some perspective; look at it from another angle.
- Sometimes you can’t see something because you’re using it to see with.
- That’s right, light! And its counterpart…
- It’s the shadows of the branches. Yep. This first set of puzzles has you tracing around the shadows.
- Stuck? In the dark? Shed some light on the situation.
- Open the gate you entered by so you can see the shadows.
- The second set requires tracing over the shadows themselves, rather than the gaps in between.
- The third set of puzzles can be hard because they’ve moved; look for the shadows elsewhere in the environment and copy the paths.
- If you can’t see the shadow, try looking at what should be casting it; don’t forget to reverse the solution!
Puzzle solutions galleries