The Witness allows you to wander wherever you fancy. Wander over to the Bunker.
The Witness: how to solve the Bunker
As you explore The Witness you’ll eventually come across the Bunker. You’ll probably first notice it as a yellow structure to one side of the path up the Mountain. The entrance is lower down, so back track and take a lower path.
Despite its name, the Bunker is a conservatory, filled with all sorts of plants. Perhaps it was converted from a shelter of some kind, into a scientific station? The puzzles in here are a new variant on the Quarantine board type, with some interesting environmental twists.
If you need help figuring out what to do and how to solve individual boards, we’re here for you. As usual, we encourage you to try and figure it out on your own – walk away, sleep on it, try something new – before consulting this walkthrough. As such, we’ll start off with some vague hints before getting into explicit directions and finally offering screenshots of finished boards. If you’re after the screens, scroll right to the bottom of the page.
- How to open the Bunker door
- Puzzle variant hints
- Terminal array #1 and #2 hints
- Terminal array #3 and corridor hints
- Elevator hints and explanation
- Puzzle solutions galleries
How to open the Bunker door
The puzzle on the Bunker door is of a type you should be familiar with if you’ve played the tutorial boards for the white door near the walled garden at the start of the game – quarantine black from white.
It’s not an especially hard one, but we have the solution for you.
Puzzle variant hints
Here come some clues as to what you need to do to solve the puzzles in the Bunker, starting with vague and ending on explicit, and moving through the terminal arrays you’ll encounter.
Terminal array #1 and #2
- Think about the puzzle on the Bunker door.
- Divide and conquer.
- I have no idea how you’d solve this entire zone if you were colour blind.
- Quarantine colours from each other.
Terminal array #3 and corridor
- Another word for a conservatory – a glass walled structure for growing plants – is what?
- What happens to colours if you look at them under coloured light?
- Can you change the lighting hitting the third terminal array?
- View the third terminal array through the coloured glass of the wall.
- Maybe you need to change the light … more.
- Can you use two filters?
- Can you use three filters??
- You need to solve both puzzles in the corridor upstairs.
- They can’t be solved simultaneously.
- The simple board opens and closes the corridor wall.
- What changes when the wall opens?
- One puzzle can be solved in daylight, the other needs pink light.
The ultimate goal of the bunker is to get up onto the roof.
Once you’ve solved the three terminal arrays and passed through the corridor, you’ll reach the main structure. There are six levels, but the stairs are broken beyond the second level.
There is an elevator, though. It’s controlled via a maze board inside. There are five cables indicating the five levels above ground. How do you make it go up?
- The light is different on each level.
- What changes on the maze board at each level?
- What haven’t you tried?
- Try studying the board at each level to see what goes with what.
- Quarantine everything.
There’s one secret in the Bunker: Audio File #6.
Our best hint for this one is: it’s somewhere you think you can’t go. You can check our The Witness secrets guide guide for a full explanation; you may also want some of the puzzle solutions below.
Terminal array #1 solutions gallery
Terminal array #2 solutions gallery
Terminal array #3 and corridor solutions gallery
Elevator solutions gallery