Destiny is getting a bunch more microtransactions, but you certainly won’t be able to buy endgame gear through Eververse.
When Destiny: The Taken King answers our prayers by opening the Sparrow Racing League this week, the Eververse Trading Company will offer a bunch of new items in exchange for Silver, a currency purchased with real money.
Yesterday, in the absence of hard information, rumours were going around that you’d be able to purchase items which would decode into endgame Legendary equipment. Naturally, this made a lot of players pretty uncomfortable – in a loot-based game, it’s basically pay-to-win.
Turns out this was rubbish. Although you’ll be able to earn 320-rated gear from the event, developer Bungie has provided a list of what Eververse will be offering, quashing the rumours, and while it does include a way to obtain equipment, said items have a light level of three. Three. That’s literally less than one one-hundredth of the endgame rating of 320.
Here’s the full list:
- New emotes to celebrate the thrill of speed and competition
- ToolKits that include stylish (but equally fast) Sparrows
- ToolKits that include Horns to let you signal your approach
- A new Record Book to provide more challenge and reward
- Complete challenges to earn vanity gear with 3 Light
- Collect an exclusive emblem and a shader
- Commemorate your SRL stats after the event is over
- SRL Helmets and Class Items acquired via the Record Book can be Infused to immortalize your status as a racing champion!
The “infusion” thing is interesting – are we talking about sacrificing another piece of gear to bring the SRL equipment up to endgame rating, or just to keep it around after the event? Hmm.
As with the Festival of Lights you don’t actually need to pay anything to participate in Sparrow Racing League – but there are likely to be vanity items you can’t pick up any other way. Visit Shipwright Amanda Halliday to get started on your reputation grinding; this is how you’ll score that endgame gear:
- Obtain your SRL Licence Quest and SRL Bounties
- Earn a new Sparrow as part of the SRL Quest
- Upgrade your reputation by completing SRL Bounties
- Each Race is a chance to earn SRL gear and Shaders
- The higher your reputation, the better the post-game drops
- Helmets and Class Items can drop with up to 320 Light
- Helmets and Class Items with Light can be used for Infusion
- All other SRL gear has no Light, but features racing perks
Should be a good time. The new emotes look pretty sweet; I still haven’t overcome my aversion to microtransactions enough to splash out, but we’ll see how long I last.