The next Europa Universalis 4 expansion highlights the fierce independent warriors of the European steppes.
Europa Universalis 4: The Cossacks is coming later this year and will be accompanied by the usual free major content update.
The expansion’s main new mechanic is the Estate system which allows you to give local factions such as priests, nobles and of course Cossacks control of provinces. You’ll receive elss income, but there are benefits such as a happier populace or cheaper troops. If they get too strong, though, they may rebel.
Here’s a trailer and feature list from Paradox:
- New Diplomatic Options: Let the world know what you think of your neighbors by setting a public attitude to foreign powers.
- Tell The World What You Want: Designate neighboring provinces as “places of interest”, build trust with other nations, and entice allies with the promise of land for their support.
- Tengri: Tengri is now a Syncretic faith, allowing it to tolerate a secondary religion as if it were a national faith.
- Horde Unity and Razing: Nomadic nations now must pay attention the horde unity of their tribes – a unity that can only be maintained by the occasional pillaging
- Improved Culture Change: You can now restore a previous culture to a converted province, or convert a province you hold to a culture that is not your own.
- Native Policies: Set your policy for colonial encounters with natives. Are you focused on quick subjugation, peaceful growth or trading advantages?
- Improved Espionage: New spy actions allow you to study the technology of more advanced countries and prod your rivals’ subjects towards independence.