I love a good RPG, and For the King looks like it’s going to be bloody brilliant.
For the King is up on Kickstarter, and with 21 days left to go, the campaign has already doubled its goal.
Aside from the downright lovely art style, the features of the game have me itching to play it. It’s a combination of traditional RPG mechanics merged with a tabletop board game experience.
For the King is a procedurally generated, open-word, roguelike RPG that you can tackle solo or with friends. You can adventure together or split off and do your own thing. If you want to buy a boat to sail the open seas, you can do just that.
The combat system is turn-based, with three classes to choose from – a hunter, a scholar, and a blacksmith.
The Kickstarter has already surpassed its goal but there are still plenty of rewards left, so if you want beta access or to see your dead, lifeless body in the game as a hapless adventurer for others to stumble across, you can make a pledge here.
In the meantime, here are some of the key features of the game that you can look forward to, as listed on the Kickstarter campaign page:
- Solo or Online Co-op – Control your own party or play with up to 3 people online. Travel and fight together or dare to set off on your own
- Challenging Roguelike Adventure – A highly re-playable, unforgiving adventure designed to keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat
- Turn Based Combat – A classic battle style with a unique slot and proficiency system. Choose your attack type, spend focus points, use items, and activate special abilities to defeat your foes
- Living World – New challenges and horrors emerge at different times of day. Encounter weather and natural events that have a variety of effects, both good and bad
- Procedurally Crafted Map – The map, realms, and locations you encounter are different every play through. A unique set of fascinating locations will force you to adapt your play style every game
- Persistent Lore – Collect lore and spend it at the town libraries to build a unique game experience. Unlock persistent game mechanics in the order of your choosing
- Dungeons – Unique dungeons will require new strategies every time you play. Encounter deadly traps, enemies, and legendary treasure in unexpected ways
- Persistent Weapon Crafting – Collect unusual resources and rare weapon recipes to craft powerful weapons over multiple playthroughs
- Item, trinkets, curiosities – Find many different objects and items to use along the way. Some helpful and some come with a cost