People aren’t interested in a single-player campaign for Star Wars: Battlefront, which is why it doesn’t contain one, according to EA.
Speaking with Gamespot, EA COO Peter Moore said current data supports the theory that “few people actually play the single-player” portion of games such as Battlefront, or other titles with large multiplayer modes like Battlefield, for instance.
“That’s what the data points to,” he said, using EA’s MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic as an example of how data changes between the start of a game’s development and launch.
“Between when a dev team starts work on a game, and when it finishes, the world becomes a different place,” he said. “I remember when we started work on Star Wars: The Old Republic; at the time, the model to go for was subscription. By the time we had the game ready, the model to go for wasn’t subscriptions.
“That’s why we had to stop the game, and rebuilt it as a free-to-play title with microtransactions, but even then there were some people who said they wanted to keep their subscriptions.”
DICE has said from the onset Battlefront was developed as multiplayer game, reiterating more than once that single-player was never “in the plan” because the team wanted players to “re-live the battles” – which is what the Battlefront series “stands for” being as it’s “multiplayer at its core.”
Those who wish to play the game in single-player mode will still be able to do so, despite the lack of a campaign mode. As previously reported, players can go solo offline using AI bots as members of their party.
Star Wars: Battlefront comes out on November 17 for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.