Despite the buzz and practically free publicity which would be generated for Star Wars: Battlefront launching a month prior to Star Wars: The Force Awakens, EA says it would not hesitate to delay the game if it wasn’t up to par.
Speaking with MCV at E3 2015 last week, chief operating officer Peter Moore EA said a delay is better than releasing a game with numerous issues just to get it out the door.
“You can’t ship it if it doesn’t work or the quality isn’t right,” he told MCV. “You just bite the bullet. We’d have no compunction, no hesitation that if something went wrong with Battlefront, if it wasn’t right, we would just push it.
“But that’s not going to happen. The game is playable with 40-players already, and it is rock solid, so it ain’t going to happen.”
Battlefield Hardline, which was initially delayed from 2014 into March 2015, also encountered numerous launch issues.
Moore told MCV shipping Hardline in March was “not the easiest thing” from a business standpoint; however, it was the “right thing to do from a player perspective.”
Hopefully, DICE can iron out the major wrinkles by the time Star Wars: Battlefront releases on November 20. If not, a delay is obviously a better alternative than selling customers a crippled game at launch.