Minecraft is probably going to be our footnote in the annals of Galactic History.
Minecraft Pocket Edition, which is available for Android and iOS, has been purchased 30 million times, Mojang has revealed.
And that’s just one version of Minecraft. Our sales figures are out of date, as Mojang provides updates at its own whim, but we know that:
- The mothership Mac and PC version had sold 15 million units as of April 2014.
- The Xbox 360 edition had sold 12 million units as of April 2014.
- The PlayStation 3 version had sold 1 million units as of January 2014.
- The Xbox One and PS4 versions released in September 2014, and the Vita version released in October and November.
- Console sales outweigh PC and Mac, and across all platforms total sales hit 54 million in June 2014.
So the current total sales figure is probably something staggering.
Minecraft was the second most-searched term on YouTube, itself the most popular search engine after browser, in 2014. It regularly tops 1 million concurrent players. Now you know why Microsoft paid $2.5 billion for Mojang.